Most read reports
- Seychelles sets course to establish a Nutrition Information System
- Seychelles: Preparedness for the Plague Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF n° MDRSC005
- Seychelles: Dengue Outbreak Emergency Plan of Action Final Report DREF Operation n° MDRSC004
- Seychelles country cooperation strategy at a glance
- Seychelles: Location Map (2013)
[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]
JOHANNESBURG, 14 April (IRIN) - Preventing loss of life and minimising shocks to fragile economies were key motivators in racheting up the early warning, disaster preparedness and response systems in Indian Ocean islands, the United Nations Resident Coordinator (UNRC) for Mauritius and Seychelles told IRIN.
UNRC Aese Smedler said early warning and disaster preparedness was "an area we feel is of extreme importance".
International delegates are currently meeting in Mauritius to fine-tune plans for …
Many millions of farmers and fisher folk in coastal areas affected by the disaster
Bangkok/Jakarta, 6 January 2005 -- FAO today launched an urgent appeal for $26 million for farmers and fisher folk hit by the South-Asian tsunami disaster, the agency said on the occasion of the international disaster summit in Indonesia.