- Gov't of the Republic of South Sudan.WHO: Cholera Situation and Response Updates, 8 Dec 2017
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 18 | 8 December 2017
- South Sudan UNHCR Operational Update 22/2017, 16-30 November 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- UNHCR: 2017 South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal
- IOM South Sudan Consolidated Appeal 2017
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- UNHCR Global Focus
- OCHA South Sudan
- UNHCR South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- IOM Displacement Tracking & Monitoring (DTM) South Sudan
- Open Data for South Sudan
- UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMIS)
- Office of the IGAD Special Envoys for South Sudan
- Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)
- Food Security Cluster: South Sudan
- Logistics Cluster: South Sudan
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Save the Children statement in response to UN Humanitarian Coordinator Press Conference, Juba, 22.11.17
- 2018 South Sudan Humanitarian Needs Overview
- Farming together reaps multiple benefits for refugees and their South Sudanese hosts
- South Sudan Humanitarian Coordinator condemns attack against civilians, aid workers in Duk County
- Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock: Statement to the Security Council on the humanitarian situation in South Sudan, 07 December 2017
December 12, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudan is closer to eradicating the guinea worm disease in the country, top officials said on Tuesday.
Speaking at a guinea worn eradication evaluation symposium in the capital, Juba, First Vice President, Taban Deng Gai emphasised the need to strengthen existing mechanisms to prevent the disease from resurfacing since the country registered no case in the last one year.
December 12, 2017 (JUBA) - More than 170 people died in the last week in clashes between two sub-clans in South Sudan, a Member of Parliament said Tuesday.
The violence in the Western Lakes state has also seen more than 200 people injured, local MP Dharuai Mabor Teny was quoted saying.
The violent clashes reportedly involved mainly armed youths from two rival Dinka sub-clans, who first clashed on Wednesday last week.
Violence prompted the government to declare a three-month state of emergency in the region and surrounding areas on Monday
JUBA, Dec 12 (Reuters) - The death toll from inter-clan fighting in South Sudan's Great Lakes region last week - a new source of violence in a country devastated by a four-year civil war - has reached at least 170, officials said on Tuesday.
Read more on the Thomson Reuters Foundation
December 01, 2017 9:49 AM
The government of Ethiopia says it will close all 27 refugee camps in its territory over the next 10 years and integrate residents into local communities.
"There will be a gradual transition from a camp-based protection model to supporting refugees directly within host communities,” Zeynu Jemal, deputy director of the Administration for Refugees and Returnees Affairs (ARRA), told VOA's Horn of Africa Service.
November 29, 2017 (JUBA) - A United Nations official has urged members of the Security Council to “unanimously" express its support to the urgent revitalization of the peace process so that the suffering of all South Sudanese can come to an end.
The revitalization is being led by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), with support from the neighbouring countries, to revive the implementation of the 2015 peace accord and bring all the warring parties together.
- One of the things to be implemented is the revitalisation programme of the August 2015 agreement by Igad.
- The second approach to restoring peace involves the re-unification of the three factions of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) led by Uganda's Museveni.
- The third and the most challenging process involves the National Dialogue launched by President Kiir.
November 27, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Local authorities in Sudan’s White Nile State said a new influx of South Sudanese refugees has arrived in the state pointing out that 176 refugees have reached the wait points earlier this week.
The Humanitarian Aid Commissioner at the White Nile Abdel-Gawi Hamid told the semi-official Sudan Media Center (SMC) that 30 refugees have been received at Al-Radis 2 wait point while 146 others were hosted at Um Sangour wait point.
November 22, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Sudan on Tuesday has resumed relief operations to South Sudan through a new route from El-Obeid, North Kordofan state capital of east and north Bahr El Ghazal.
A local official at the sub-committee tasked with the delivery of humanitarian aid to South Sudan told Ashorooq TV they have so far transported more than 13,000 metric tonnes of food to the neighbouring country.
November 16, 2017 (CAIRO) – Rival factions of South Sudan’s ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) have signed a unification agreement to rebuild trust and confidence among them.
The deal, dubbed the “Declaration of Unification”, was signed on Thursday in Cairo, Egypt under the auspices of the Egyptian President Abdel-Fatah al-Sisi and his Ugandan counterpart Yoweri Museveni Kaguta.
November 12, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Sudanese activists have launched a campaign to end the suffering of thousands of people that are denied the Sudanese nationality after the independence of South Sudan particularly those whose mothers are Sudanese.
After South Sudan independence in 2011, Sudanese authorities withdrew the nationality of South Sudanese that are born in Sudan. Also, those who are from a South Sudanese father have been arbitrarily deprived of nationality.
November 12, 2017 (EL-OBEID) - Local officials in North Kordofan state Sunday said all arrangements have been completed to resume relief operations in South Sudan through a new route connecting the state with the neighbouring country.
Three United Nations agencies declared an outbreak of famine in the young nation in February, saying an additional 1 million people were are the brink of starvation.
Refugees from South Sudan have been arriving in Uganda at an average rate of 35,000 a month this year
- More than a million South Sudanese refugees are in Uganda
- Delays and funding cuts means many are desperate for food
- Some have gone back to forage and been killed
By Jason Patinkin
PALORINYA, Uganda, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Oliver Wani found sanctuary from South Sudan's civil war in a Ugandan refugee camp. But when the food ran out, he returned home only to be killed in the conflict he had fled.
November 3, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Sudanese authorities have authorized South Sudanese refugees in White Nile state to work for local farmers, upon the request of the UN refugee agency.
In order to bridge the gap in the lack of funding for its humanitarian operation in Sudan generally and particularly for the South Sudanese refugees, UN officials convinced the White Nile government authorities to promote livelihood opportunities for refugees in the state.
Khartoum and Juba have agreed to open four of the ten border crossings between the two countries and to activate the joint security arrangements.
On Monday, the Defence Ministers of Sudan and South Sudan held a session of talks at the Ministry of Defence in Khartoum, in preparation for the visit of South Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit on Wednesday.
By Jason Patinkin
KAMPALA, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Foreign victims of an attack on aid workers in South Sudan began giving testimony via video link from the United States on Wednesday in the trial of government soldiers accused of murder and gang rape.
Read more on Reuters.
October 25, 2017 (NYAL) - At least 10 children have died from Measles and over 100 have been admitted in South Sudan’s Payinjiar county, an area health official disclosed.
Stephen Gatliah Kuay, a county health supervisor, said on Wednesday that seven of the 10 children died before reaching the area health facility.
He described as “worrying” the situation in the area, stressing that lack of enough health kits makes it hard to treat children affected.
By DICTA ASIIMWE
October 23, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudan has unveiled new strategies to end the ongoing conflict and restore peace and stability in the war-torn East African country.
The presidential adviser on security affairs, Tut Kew Gatluak said three separate strategies are being undertaken to end the war.
Half of all South Sudanese depend on food aid. This is not only because of droughts, but also bloody power struggles. The main victims in this cycle of violence and hunger are women and children.
October 16, 2017 (JUBA) - Rival factions involved in the South Sudanese conflict have accepted to denounce violence and declare permanent ceasefire, raising hopes for peace and stability in the country, should they adhere to this pronouncements.
The presidential adviser on security affairs told Sudan Tribune Monday that the government has now accepted in principle to participate in the revitalization forum because all issues that needed clarification have been addressed.