Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read reports
- The Ministry of Health of South Sudan successfully conducts its first ever diagnostic test for Ebola
- Violations and Abuses Against Civilians in Gbudue and Tambura States (Western Equatoria), April-August 2018
- One in two people face starvation in South Sudan, as extreme hunger hits more states
- South Sudan armed opposition denies abusing civilians in Western Equatoria
- Recruited but not ‘child soldiers’: Returning girls in South Sudan risk being left without support
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) summary for March 2018 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia / Somaliland and Yemen.
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) summary for February 2018 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia / Somaliland and Yemen.
Regional mixed migration summary for September 2016 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Puntland, Somalia, Somaliland and Yemen.
Terminology: Throughout this report the term migrant/refugee is used to cover all those involved in the mixed migration flows (including asylum seekers, trafficked persons, smuggled economic migrants, refugees). If the caseload mentioned refers only to refugees or asylum seekers or trafficked persons it will be clearly stated.
Key mixed migration characteristics
South Sudan is a major refugee producing country and ranks among the countries with the highest levels of conflict-induced population displacement globally.
UNHCR estimates that nearly one in four South Sudanese citizens are displaced within its borders or to neighbouring countries
Samuel Hall East Africa, a consultancy registered in Kenya was commissioned by the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) in October 2014, to conduct a mid-term review of the second phase of the Great Lakes Civil Society Project (GLP), a regional programme implemented since January 2010 by DRC with funding from the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA).
1.1 Background on the project
DRC a key player in a crisis-ridden world
Danish Refugee Council's annual report for 2014 is now available. Read Secretary General, Andreas Kamm's statement and download the full report.
According to the UN, the number of registered Syrian refugees has now passed 3 million people, while 6.5 million are internally displaced in Syria. This means that close to one fifth of the world's 50 million displaced are from Syria. Although the world is witnessing a historic number of serious crises it remains important to keep focusing on the dire humanitarian situation in and around Syria.
The UN World Humanitarian Day is dedicated to the aid-workers stationed in conflict and disaster affected places around the globe. With a historic number of humanitarian crises and a record 50 million people displaced their efforts are more needed than ever.
War and conflict ravages Africa and the Middle East and according to the UN more than 50 million people are displaced worldwide – the highest number since World War II. Humanitarian resources and capacity are under pressure and aid-workers are fighting to keep up with the increasing needs.
A new three-year grant from Sida (Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) has just been approved and will enable the Danish Refugee Council to continue its advocacy and policy work in the Great Lakes region of Africa until 2016. The new funding will serve to strengthen the efforts of DRC and its partner organisations and to consolidate the results reached in the region since 2010.