Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak - Dec 2017
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Ahead of peace talks, a who’s who in South Sudan’s splintering civil war
- Humanitarian Coordinator condemns killing of aid worker, calls for the release of seven others held by armed group
- Hundreds of children released from armed groups in South Sudan - UNICEF
- GIEWS Country Brief: South Sudan 29-March-2018
- A Region on the Move: Migration trends in the East & Horn of Africa, 2017
The year 2013 has marked the beginning of a new era at BICC with the introduction of a dual leadership structure. Conrad Schetter was appointed Director for Research in March and his position is combined with a newly established professorship for Peace and Conflict Research at the University of Bonn. This joint role is intended to intensify BICC’s academic approach and at the same time strengthen intellectual exchanges with the University of Bonn. Michael Dedek, Director for Administration, complements the management team.
On 18 of September 2013, the first batch of demobilized soldiers graduated from the three-month orientation training at the Mapel Transition Facility. H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit—President of the Republic of South Sudan—honored the occasion with his presence and took the opportunity to officially inaugurate the National Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) Program.
On 28 August 2012, BICC and the Verification Center of the German Armed Forces organized an experts’ meeting at the German Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York City. With an estimated three million small arms and light weapons in circulation among the civilian population, both Sudan and South Sudan are struggling to control the proliferation of weapons.
BICC was commissioned to undertake a study on issues relating to Return and Reintegration (RR) of actors displaced by the fighting in Sudan and to provide action-oriented data on issues relating to RR as a basis for suggestions to improve the RR program in Southern Sudan.
BICC Annual Report 2012: Textbook examples of preventive security policy
The Annual Report of the Bonn International Center for Conversion (BICC) will be presented in Bonn on 11 July 2012. This year’s selection of topics once again illustrates the relevance of the projects and research work of this internationally renowned think tank. Topics include German arms exports, the control of small arms, developments in South Sudan and Sudan, as well as the privatization of security and resource conflicts.
On Saturday, 9 July 2011, the six-year transitionary period of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement will come to an end: with the birth of the 54th state on the African continent. It is expected that the young republic of South Sudan will be quickly recognized and will become a member of the United Nations, the African Union and other international organizations.