Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak - Dec 2017
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Report of the Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan (A/HRC/37/71)
- Hungry for Peace: Exploring the Links Between Conflict and Hunger in South Sudan (February 2018)
- Nearly two-thirds of the population in South Sudan at risk of rising hunger
- A ‘silent killer’, maternal and neonatal tetanus, is causing deaths of mothers and newborns across South Sudan
- Humanitarian Coordinator calls for urgent action to avert worsening food crisis in South Sudan
March 18, 2018 (KHARTOUM) Sudan's refugee commissioner Hamad al-Gizouli said arrangements are underway to transfer the South Sudanese refugees to new areas outside of the capital, Khartoum.
Speaking at a workshop on the outcome of a recent survey about the status of South Sudan refugees on Sunday, al-Gizouli said South Sudanese refugees are present in all Sudanese states which pose a real challenge to the government.
March 4, 2018 (KHARTOUM) - The government of the White Nile State said arrangements are underway to receive the new influx of the South Sudanese refugees.
The Secretary-General of the White Nile State government and chairman of the technical coordination committee for refugee affairs, Al-Tayeb Mohamed Abdallah said his state has so far received 148,065 South Sudanese refugees.
February 19, 2018 (JUBA) – South Sudan government has denied reports that it supplies food and free transport to refugees returning from neighboring Uganda upon their arrival to the war-torn nation.
“The government does not provide any assistance to the returnees, but works with aid agencies that provide food and other life-saving assistance to returnees upon arrival,”, Peter Gatwech Kulang, the undersecretary at the humanitarian affairs ministry told said Monday.
February 14, 2018 (KHARTOUM) - The number of South Sudanese refugees in Sudan’s White Nile State has reached 150,000, said the chairman of the technical coordination committee for refugee affairs in the state, Altayeb Mohamed Abdallah.
He told the semi-official Sudan Media Center (SMC) the South Sudanese refugees have been accommodated in two camps in Al-Gabalain area and six camps in Al-Salam area.
Abdallah pointed out to new flows of refugees which require the establishment of additional camps in areas that need to be provided with the basic services.
February 12, 2018 (JUBA) – South Sudan’s armed opposition faction allied to the country’s former first vice president Riek Machar opted out of the ongoing peace talks on Monday in protest against what it described as continued attacks on the positions by the government.
February 12, 2018 (ABUROC) - One year after fighting erupted across South Sudan´s Upper Nile region, many of those who fled the violence remain in the village of Aburoc. But soon this community will face a difficult choice: stay in the area, where living conditions are harsh and getting worse or return home to their old villages where tensions persist.
February 8, 2018 (JUBA) - South Sudan peace talks have stalled over a text mediators and opposition officials want added to a provision that authorizes levying punitive measures against individuals who violate the peace process.
The parties, multiple sources attending the ongoing talks said, also failed to reach a consensus on governance and security sector reform matters.
February 5, 2018 (JUBA)- The second phase of the IGAD-brokered South Sudanese peace talks have resumed in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, despite a boycott by the government delegation demanding more representation.
The Second Phase of High-Level Revitalization Forum was launched Monday after the signing of a cessation of hostilities agreement poorly enforced by the warring parties. So the deal which was designed as a confidence-building measure contributed to further deteriorate the conducive environment before the talks.
February 2, 2018 (JUBA) - Amid the growing regional and international pressures, South Sudan’s government on Friday pledged readiness to participate with an open heart in the upcoming peace revitalization talks in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.
The second phase of the High-Level revitalization Forum (HLRF) convenes on February 5 to 16, 2018 in Addis Ababa between the signatories of the peace agreement including, delegates representing the government, political parties and oppositions and Civil Society organizations.
January 28, 2018 (JUBA) - South Sudan has vowed to implement resilient and adaptive mechanisms to mitigate negative effects of climate change partly responsible for the hunger crisis in the war-torn East African country.
Joseph Bartel, Undersecretary of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, said climate change was the cause of erratic rainfall patterns, excessive heat, drought and loss of soil fertility and desertification in the country that was recently declassified by the UN to be no longer in famine.
January 27, 2018 (JUBA) - The chairman of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) has called to sanction the violators of the cessation of hostilities agreement pointing that the humanitarian situation has seen little improvement.
President Festus Mogae made his call in a speech he delivered before the IGAD Council of Ministers on Saturday 27 January in Addis Ababa as they gathered to discuss the revitalization process before its resumption next February.
January 19, 2018 (JUBA) - South Sudanese government Friday called on the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to enhance the means of the ceasefire monitoring body pointing to its poor performance.
The demand, which expresses for the first time Juba frustration from the activities of the mechanism, is made one month after the signing of the cessation of hostilities agreement the government and the rebels are largely accused of violating.
January 15, 2018 (JUBA) - The armed opposition forces allied to former first deputy president Riek Machar has accused the regional peace meditators and international guarantors of indirectly backing attacks and truce breaches on their areas in Jonglei region.
January 2, 2018 (JUBA)- South Sudan government Tuesday denied violating the cessation of hostilities brokered by the IGAD mediators, saying its cabinet had approved the agreement and directed the army to comply.
The Information minister and the government spokesman told the state-owned South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation that the practice of apportioning blames was encouraging violations.
December 30, 2017 (JUBA)- South Sudan president on Saturday welcomed the signing of the cessation of hostilities and warned that outside powers should not be allowed to impose solutions on the country.
President Kiir made the remarks on Saturday at his residence ahead of talks sponsored by international and regional actors on the future of the war-torn East African state.
December 27, 2017 (AWEIL) - Chief of defence of forces of South Sudanese army Wednesday has pledged to implement the ceasefire agreement, urging the international community to restrain rebel forces.
Gen James Ajonga Mawut, currently in Aweil for Christmas break, told officers and soldiers that President Kiir had given instructions and orders for a ceasefire to be implemented immediately.
December 25, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudanese government army has called to investigate violations of the recently signed cessation of hostilities agreement in South Sudan reiterate accusations against the armed opposition of attacking its positions.
Hours after the signing of the humanitarian cessation of hostilities in Addis Ababa on Thursday 21 December, the SPLA-IO led by Riek Machar and the government forces traded claims of attacks on their respective positions across the country.
December 23, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudan President Salva Kiir has on Saturday directed the chief of defence staff to instruct all the heads of the state army divisions and units across the country to comply with the ceasefire agreement.
December 23, 2017 (JUBA) - The forces of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army - In Opposition (SPLA-IO) led by the First Vice President Taban Deng Gai Saturday have been ordered to observe the cessation of hostilities agreement brokered by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
The parties of the revitalization process agreed before to begin discussions on the need to create a conducive environment through the cessation of hostilities and allow humanitarian access to the civilians in the war zone.