Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- WFP Completes First Food Delivery by Boat in Upper Nile
- South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan, January - December 2018
- Report of the Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan (A/HRC/37/71)
- South Sudan declares the end of its longest cholera outbreak
- UN considering new base on western bank of Nile to give South Sudanese refugees confidence to return
The Dutch Embassy in Juba has, in a release, reaffirmed continued assistance to the people of South Sudan, in view of the humanitarian situation prevailing in the country.
“The release was issued to assure the people that we stand by them, and that we stand ready to support any development in the implementation of the Peace Agreement,” Ambassador Robert Van Den Dool told Radio Miraya in an exclusive interview.
More than 3,000 – three thousand people have been displaced in Raja county, following the latest clashes between the army and an armed group.
The clashes broke out on Friday last week, forcing many people out of their homes. Majority of the displaced persons have sought shelter in the catholic church compound in Raja.
Fr. Richard Riomo, the priest, in charge of the Catholic Church in Raja, has sounded an urgent appeal for humanitarian assistance to support the IDPs.
A temporary makeshift school has been opened for internally displaced persons at the UN IDP transit camp in Thomping.
The opening of the school is seen as a major milestone in efforts to provide quality education to about 900 children and adolescents from the IDP communities and ensure equal opportunities for both girls and boys.
William Nyah, the Acting Head teacher of Friendship Nursery and Primary school asked UNICEF to intervene and supply basic school supplies for the children displaced by the recent fighting in Juba.
A convoy of 45 trucks carrying food and and other merchandise have arrived in Juba, a week after insecurity left many traders stranded at Nimule border post.
The convoy came from the town of Nimule on the Ugandan border and is the first to reach the south by road since fighting broke out in Juba almost three weeks ago.
Insecurity along the Juba – Nimule road made it extremely difficult for the traders to proceed to Juba and this in return resulted into food shortage at the heart of South Sudan’s capital city.
As many as two thousand HIV and AIDS patients in Ezo County of Western Equatoria, have be left without treatment, as a free distribution programme of ARV is disrupted by insecurity.
Ngbapai Moses, an HIV Counsellor working with the Catholic Medical Mission Board in Ezo, said on Thursday that its difficult to bring the life-saving antiretroviral (ARV), because the road linking the County was blocked by an armed group last month.
Ngbapai said the drug shortage is already having severe consequences on some patients.
More than 80 children under the care of the SOS villages in Juba, have been relocated to a safe compound, following the fighting in Juba last week, that saw the looting of the SOS village in Juba town.
A statement by Timothy SPENCE, emergency communications advisor, SOS Children’s Villages International, said the children were relocated last week, together with 31 caretakers.
Juba city council is paying close attention to the water supplied to resident of Juba city, amid fears of cholera in Juba town.
On Tuesday, Juba city council issued an order directing water suppliers to distribute clean and safe water to the residents.
Speaking with Radio Miraya, the deputy Mayor of Juba City, Ater Yel, said water suppliers have been advised to avoid fetching and distributing water directly from the river Nile.
The deputy mayor warned that his office will not hesitate to take action against any supplier that defies this directive.
The death of one person and admission of 30 people at Juba Teaching Hospital has prompted a warning from the Ministry of Health urging the public to be alert for possible cholera.
The alert cited cases of acute watery diarrhea – suspected cholera cases reported by the County Health department in Juba on 7th May 2016.
According to the Ministry of health, here has been a new cluster upsurge of suspect cases reaching a cumulative of 30 cases admitted and one death on 16th July 2016.
More than 800 households sheltering in United Nations compound in Tomping have started receiving relief aid.
The UN’s food agency – WFP and the International Organization for Migration, IOM plus other partner distributed blankets, mosquito nets, sleeping mats and cartons of biscuits to the internally displaced people at the PoC site in Juba.
Philip Boterere, IOM’s shelter department operations officer, said on Wednesday that he hopes that these items will cushion their situation for now.
The rainy season, risks sparking water borne diseases, the South Sudan Red Cross warned Tuesday.
The South Sudan Red Cross – SSRC, secretary General, John Lobor, warned that ten days after they were displaced from their homes, more people could see a deterioration in health due to malaria as the rainy season sets.
“If they continue to stay in these places for more days and week’s, we are bound to see a deterioration in their health, we are likely to see people especially women and children probably affected with diarrhea and so on,” said Lobor.
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan – UNMISS has deployed an all-female platoon team to provide armed escort to the Internally Displaced women and children, as they move to collect firewood and water around the POC site.
“Women at the Contingency WAU POC site are constantly moving out of the site to fend for their families by fetching water and firewood and are sometimes accompanied by their children. This exposes them to abuse by persons of ill-intent such as rape, abduction killing and maiming.”
A consignment of 1,100 tons of food aid destined for South Sudan has gone through Eritrea’s main port of Massawa.
The shipment of sorghum or dura is being brought by the World Food Program (WFP) and is the first in a decade to cross through the Eritrean port.
WFP officials say it is a “pilot shipment” to test Massawa’s efficiency and cost as a route for aid to South Sudan, compared with other routes through Sudan or Kenya.
The food is expected to be brought to South Sudan via Khartoum and Kosti.
A one day event designed to sensitize the communities hosting the deployment sites in Juba takes place this Thursday at Nyakuroni cultural center in Juba. The event organized by the Field office Juba of the UN Mission in South Sudan, stems from numerous reports about tension and discontentment rising from the communities where the deployment sites are located.
The UN Mission in South Sudan says it is working with the government to ensure it protects children. Speaking at an event to mark the Day of the African Child at the UNMISS compound in Juba, the Deputy Head of the UN Mission in South Sudan, Moustapha Soumaré, said the UN and the government are working together to create an enabling environment for children.
Radio Miraya marked the day of the African children with a fanfare event that brought children from four schools in Juba to take part in Radio presentation, poem recitation and participating in a question and answer session.
The Bishop of Wonduruba Diocese, Mathew Taban, has launched a diocesan-wide appeal for assistance to support internally displaced persons returning home.
Speaking to Miraya Breakfast Show, Bishop Taban said; “This is my urgent appeal to the government and the Non Governmental Organizations to come to the rescue of the people of Wonduruba.”
Bishop Taban is on the team of religious leaders that have been in Wonduruba for an on-spot assessment of the situation there. He said the tour is designed to interact with the people, comfort them and encourage theme to return home.
More than twenty arms have been handed over to the authorities in Gogrial, in a latest effort to restore peace in the area.
Akot Abiem, one of the top authorities in Gogrial, said on Friday that 28 guns were voluntarily handed over to the county commissioner, during a peace campaign.
Abiem said community members are increasingly becoming aware about the dangers of inter-communal violence and many more guns are expected to be handed over to the authorities.
The Under-Secretary-General (USG) in charge of the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), Hervé Ladsous, arrived in Juba South Sudan on Friday.
He is here to visit the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), check on the implementation of the peace accord; assess progress made in setting up of the Transitional Government of National Unity and visited the Bentiu and Malakal.
The UN Peacekeeping Chief spoke with Radio Miraya Reporter Alex Agole, in this exclusive Interview.
The United Nations Human Settlement Programme, UN-Habitat is working on an accelerated program for the return of displaced persons from protection of civilian sites to their homes.
Christian Okafor, a policy advisor with UN-Habitat says the plan involves construction of decent settlements, flood support and land management programs.
Okafor says youth will also be involved in public reconstruction processes.
“We have a lot of youth and we should take advantage of those youth to support the reconstruction process,” said Okafor.
Distribution of food assistance to more than 40,000 vulnerable people has kicked off in Aweil town.
The Director of Relief and Rehabilitation Commission in Aweil, Deng Kuel Kuel, announced the start of food distribution to about 47,000 people in the area.
The vulnerable people were identified after a two- weeks registration exercise conducted by traditional leaders and Payam administrators.
Increased food prices, coupled with low income and humanitarian crisis, has rendered many people more vulnerable.
The number of people displaced by weekend clashes between the SPLA and armed men in Mangalla has gone up from 600 to 1,200.
Many of the displaced are sheltering at the Dr John Garang Memorial military college while others are scattered in Mangala town and surrounding areas.
At least four people were reported shot dead when fighting erupted between soldiers and armed men during an occasion to inaugurate the commissioner of Mangala County.
A committee has been formed by the national government to investigate the incident.