Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read reports
- South Sudan: Aid agencies appeal for $1.5 billion to reach 5.7 million people with life-saving assistance
- 15,000 children without parents or missing, five years after outbreak of fighting in South Sudan
- South Sudan set to vaccinate targeted healthcare and frontline workers operating in high risk states against Ebola
- South Sudan - Refugees Statistics as of 30 November 2018
- UN human rights experts say South Sudan leaders should seize the opportunity of the revitalized peace process to ensure accountability and help victims of the conflict rebuild their lives
Dancing in the streets of Juba has been replaced with fear of even stepping outside your own doorstep. One month ago, on 15 December 2013, fighting broke out between different fractions in South Sudan’s capital.
The gunfire has since spread and is now threatening big parts of the country as the international community fears the breakout of a new civil war. A few years back, the people of South Sudan were celebrating their independence – but now they have been thrown into a chaos which leaves little hope for the bright future they once dreamed about.
Fresh from a two-week trip to three peacekeeping operations, Under-Secretary-General for peacekeeping operations Hervé Ladsous shares his views on challenges facing the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID), and the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
On 1 July you were in Mali as MINUSMA - the latest UN peacekeeping operations - was being launched. What was the meaning of your presence there?