Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2019
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read reports
- Former long-standing rival communities in Lakes region sign historic peace deal
- WFP South Sudan Situation Report #237, 19 January 2019
- South Sudan - Refugees Statistics as of 31 December 2018
- South Sudan: Physical Access Constraints Map as of 18 January 2019
- South Sudan: Ebola Virus Disease Preparedness (EPoA) update n° 01 - DREF Operation n°MDRSS007
Foreign Minister Urmas Paet stated that Estonia is helping residents of South Sudan who are suffering due to the internal conflict in the country. Assistance is being allocated through UN funds and the International Committee of the Red Cross. "The conflict between the government of South Sudan and the rebels has led to the spread of violence. Almost a million internal refugees are being forced to leave their homes and hundreds of thousands of people have fled the country," Foreign Minister Urmas Paet said. He added that there is also a great shortage of food in South Sudan.
The Foreign Ministry is contributing to the World Food Programme (WFP) project in Somalia to help provide food to the country’s inhabitants. In 2011 humanitarian aid activities helped to alleviate the humanitarian situation, which had suddenly grown worse due to drought. However, there are still 4 million people that require daily food aid and 250 000 people at the risk of dying of starvation.
The Foreign Ministry is responding to the UN’s appeal for humanitarian aid with 50 000 euros to support the efforts of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in improving the availability of food and increasing economic opportunities, especially for women. The sum was allocated from the Foreign Ministry’s budget for humanitarian aid.