Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read reports
- New Peace Centre opened in Bor, South Sudan
- “We Do Not Honour Agreements”: Dialogue and Peace Agreements in South Sudan
- South Sudan Humanitarian Fund (SSHF) Dashboard (3rd Quarter 2018)
- South Sudan - Central Equatoria State, Juba County - Juba PoC 1 - Latrine distance - As of 24 June 2018
- South Sudan UNHCR Operational Update (16 - 31 October 2018)
UK aid agency CAFOD has joined other British NGOs working with vulnerable communities affected by the conflict in South Sudan, in welcoming the signing of the latest peace agreement, but warns that any sustainable peace in the country needs to include the critical role of civil society.
In their joint statement released to mark International Day of Peace, it says:
On International Day of Peace 21st September, we, the undersigned international NGOs, would like to draw attention to the urgent need for peace in South Sudan.
Famine has officially ended in South Sudan thanks to a surge in humanitarian aid. Yet, the number of people at risk of starvation in the country has increased. Meagre harvests and soaring food prices are being compounded by an ongoing conflict, which began more than three years ago.
Tearfund and our partners are continuing to respond, working hard to tackle the food crisis. The need is still great and there are many more people we can reach. Across East Africa, 23 million people are in need of food assistance.
27 humanitarian agencies working in South Sudan have warned that unless substantial funds are immediately provided to those working on the ground, organisations will struggle to stop famine spreading across the country in the next few months. The statement follows Monday’s declaration of famine in parts of the country.
Since the latest conflict erupted in South Sudan in December 2013, more than 2.3 million people have been forced to flee their homes and 3.9 million (approximately one third of the population) do not have enough to eat. All humanitarian actors struggle to respond to these acute needs against a context of chronic poverty, ongoing conflict and insecurity, limited infrastructure and a significant funding shortfall.
It’s the lean season in South Sudan.
And that means for people living in areas like Warawar in Aweil, finding food can become a walk on the wild side. Trees in the bush can be the only food source for people who have consumed last year’s crops and are waiting for the next harvest to be ready.
The months between June and September are particularly tricky for vulnerable mums like Adthel Ayuel, who looks after five children.
Aid agencies warn of famine next year as upsurge in fighting imminent
Agencies fear recent improvements will be wiped out as the number of severely hungry people will rise by 1 million in first three months of 2015
A group of leading aid agencies warned today that parts of South Sudan – already the world’s worse food crisis – could fall into famine early next year if the nine-month long conflict escalates as expected.
A group of seven major international aid agencies said they face a shortfall of $89m/£52m just when the South Sudan humanitarian crisis edges closer to the risk of famine. Speaking out on the 3rd anniversary of the country’s independence they warned their aid efforts to help hundreds of thousands of people caught up in the conflict was under threat due to a lack of funds.
South Sudan stands on the brink of catastrophe with at least one in three people in the country facing severe food shortages (1), as the world’s newest nation marks its third anniversary this week (9 July).
Christian relief and development agency Tearfund reports an increase of more than 300 percent in the number of malnourished children and mothers needing food from its six feeding centres in remote communities in Jonglei, one of the country’s worst affected states, compared to this time last year (2).
It was three hours before Jenifer and her mum felt they were out of immediate danger and could stop running.
But although the sound of the gunfire on the streets of the South Sudanese capital Juba had been left behind, the fear of the men who had been responsible for it hadn’t.
Jenifer and her mum are among more than a million South Sudanese who’ve fled their homes due to a conflict between forces loyal to President Salva Kirr, who belongs to the Dinka ethnic group, and former Deputy President Riek Machar, who belongs to the Lou Nuer.
Juba, 12 May 2014 – On 20 May 2014, the international community will convene in Oslo, Norway, to discuss how to address the humanitarian crisis in South Sudan. In just under five months since fighting erupted, the situation in South Sudan has deteriorated severely, causing 1.3 million people to flee from their homes, including an estimated 300,000 to neighboring countries. Over 4 million people, including over 2.5 million children, are extremely vulnerable to food insecurity, as people have been displaced from their sources of survival. This crisis is worsening on a daily basis.
Juba, 26th April 2014
New Report Warns of Worsening Humanitarian Disaster in South Sudan
CARE urges global community to act now to help nearly 7 million at risk
Juba, South Sudan — A new report on the humanitarian situation in South Sudan warns that the safety and food security of nearly 7 million people will deteriorate rapidly without a swift, international response. CARE urges the global community to do more to provide urgently needed food and health aid as well as help stop the violent conflict that has precipitated this humanitarian crisis.
Leading church leaders in South Sudan have called for greater urgency regarding delayed peace negotiations in Addis Ababa, as faith-based humanitarian agencies warn of an impending food crisis.
In just four months, more than one million people have been displaced from their homes and an estimated 4.9 million are currently in need of humanitarian assistance, yet the crisis response plan is still only 36 per cent funded.
Juba, South Sudan, 25th January 2014 - Fifty-five major humanitarian non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in South Sudan have expressed their deep concern about the current humanitarian situation in the country and reaffirmed their commitment to help all civilian populations in need of assistance.
Nyakuach Mayien gave birth in one of the riskiest places in the world for a child to be born – South Sudan.
Hunger soon left her daughter Nyayian struggling to survive and her tiny body became wracked with illness.
‘My daughter was seriously ill with malnutrition,’ said Nyakuach. ‘She would often vomit, pass diarrhoea and her body temperature was very high. I was worried that she would die.’
The statistics for maternal and child mortality in South Sudan are high – one in nine children die before their fifth birthday and 20 per cent are malnourished.
This report forms part of a one-year DFID-funded research project, implemented by Tearfund and ODI, that aims to explore the links between service delivery of water supply and sanitation and the wider processes of state-building and peace-building in fragile and conflict-affected states.
The 9th July 2012, marks a year since South Sudan became an independent nation. Many challenges confront the new nation’s leaders, including chronic poverty, weak infrastructure and tribal conflicts.
Here we report on Tearfund’s work to support the world’s newest country.
The optimism of Atak Atek Tong is irrepressible, even in the difficult conditions of a camp consisting of thousands of people.
The UK Government must continue to focus its efforts on humanitarian assistance in South Sudan, says Tearfund, in response to a new report from the International Development Select Committee that looks at the new country’s prospects for peace and development.
Today’s announcement that the number of people without access to safe water has halved is welcomed by Tearfund, a Christian relief and development agency serving people in more than 50 countries.
According to a report from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF, this achievement is well in advance of the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) 2015 deadline. In 2010, 89 per cent of the world’s population - 6.1 billion people - used improved drinking water sources, exceeding the MDG 88 per cent original target.