Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak - Dec 2017
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Ahead of peace talks, a who’s who in South Sudan’s splintering civil war
- South Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 03 | 23 March 2018
- Humanitarian Coordinator condemns killing of aid worker, calls for the release of seven others held by armed group
- Greater Kajo-Keji hosts ghost towns and hibernating villages as fear and insecurity prevail
- Hundreds of children released from armed groups in South Sudan - UNICEF
ADDIS ABABA, March 26, 2018
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.
Acute food insecurity global estimates in 2017
• Around 124 million people in 51 countries face Crisis food insecurity or worse (equivalent of IPC/CH Phase 3 or above). They require urgent humanitarian action to save lives, protect livelihoods, and reduce hunger and malnutrition.
Juba, 9 March 2018, the CTSAMM Chairperson, Major General Ibrahim Abdeljeili, paid a courtesy call to the Ambassador of Japan to South Sudan, Mr. Seiji Okada, to receive funds of $500,000 USD provided to the mission with the aim supporting the peace process in South Sudan. The funds will enable the CTSAMM to carry out its mandate of monitoring the ceasefire in South Sudan. The project funding will enhance the efforts to conduct outreach with civil society and other stakeholders with specific focus on addressing gender issues.
As the Second Phase of the Revitalization Forum on South Sudan entered its fifth day today (February 9), Parties to the Peace Process have continued holding talks on substantive issues of the Agreement of the Resolution of the Conflict on South Sudan (ARCSS) signed on August, 2015.
Today Participants have commenced talks on Pre-Transitional Period and National Constitutional Amendment Committee (NCAC) stated under Article 13 of the ARCSS.
13th February 2018, Mombasa, Kenya: The period between March and May (MAM) constitute an important rainfall season over the equatorial parts of the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA) region. The prediction of MAM 2018 season indicates increased likelihood of near normal to enhanced rainfall over much of the Greater Horn of Africa. However, near normal to depressed rainfall is likely to occur over much of Somalia, southeastern Ethiopia and eastern Kenya.
The IGAD Council of Ministers held its 60TH Extra-Ordinary Session on January 27, 2018 in Addis Ababa under the chairmanship of H.E. Workneh Gebeyehu, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Chairperson of the IGAD Council of Ministers. The session was attended by H.E. Mahamoud Ali Youssouf, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Djibouti; H.E.
The IGAD Assembly of Heads of State and Government held the 31 st Extra-Ordinary Summit on 12 th June 2017, in Addis Ababa, under the chairmanship of H.E. Hailemariam Desalegn, Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Chairperson of the IGAD Assembly of Heads of State and Government, to discuss current situation in the Republic of South Sudan and IGAD institutional matters.
03-04-2017, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – Members of the National Tuberculosis and HIV Programs from the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Member States together with UNHCR, ARAA and Kenya Red Cross Society are meeting from April 3-4, 2017 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to consult on improving TB and HIV diagnosis, treatment and health information and supply management services in refugee settings within the IGAD region.
31ST MARCH 2017, NAIROBI - KENYA
New global report on food crises offers benchmark for action needed to avoid disasters
BRUSSELS - Despite international efforts to address food insecurity, around 108 million people in the world were severely food insecure in 2016, a dramatic increase compared with 80 million in 2015, according to a new global report on food crises released in Brussels today.
Le monde doit aujourd’hui répondre à un appel à la mobilisation sans précédent face à la situation de quatre pays menacés par la famine, et à la demande croissante d’aide humanitaire et de résilience. Dans ce contexte, il est de la plus haute importance d’informer la communauté de la sécurité alimentaire à l’échelle mondiale et nationale, quant au risque de crises alimentaires et à la sévérité de ces crises. Les parties prenantes ont largement investi dans l’analyse de la sécurité alimentaire et les systèmes d’alerte précoce afin de mieux prévenir et répondre aux crises alimentaires.
The European Union, FAO and WFP have joined forces with FEWS NET, UNICEF and regional organisations like CILSS, IGAD and SICA to coordinate needs assessment to increase the impact of humanitarian and resilience responses through the preparation of the “Global Report on Food Crises”. This Global Report aims to enhance coordination and decision making through a neutral analysis that informs programming and implementation.
25TH MARCH 2017, NAIROBI - KENYA
The IGAD Assembly of Heads of State and Government held its 30th Extra-Ordinary Summit on 25th March 2017 in Nairobi, Kenya, under the chairmanship of H.E. Hailemariam Desalegn, Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the Chairperson of the IGAD Assembly, to deliberate on current situation in the Republic of South Sudan.
NAIROBI - The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Interpeace to work together on peace initiatives in Eastern Africa and the Horn of Africa.
A Consultative Meeting of IGAD Council of Ministers was held on 17 March 20017 at the African Union Headquarters. The meeting was chaired by H.E. Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Chairperson of the IGAD Council of Ministers.
The African Union (AU), the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and the United Nations (UN) held a joint consultative meeting on South Sudan on January 29, 2017 on the margins of the African Union 28th Ordinary Summit of the Heads of State and Government in Addis Ababa.
Welcome to our up-to-date IGAD-ICPAC live map for the Greater Horn of Africa. This web map displays seasonal climate outlooks, satellite-based rainfall estimation and anomalies, flood hazards, flood forecast, changes in vegetation condition, UNOSAT observed satellite imagery derived flood extents and photos from collaborating partners and volunteers. The platform is a result from collaboration between IGAD, ICPAC and UNITAR-UNOSAT working together to improve disaster risk reduction in the Horn of Africa. This activity is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.