- WFP South Sudan Situation Report #194, 15 September 2017
- IOM South Sudan Humanitarian Update 78 (15 September 2017)
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- UNHCR: 2017 South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal
- IOM South Sudan Consolidated Appeal 2017
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- UNHCR Global Focus
- OCHA South Sudan
- UNHCR South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- IOM Displacement Tracking & Monitoring (DTM) South Sudan
- Open Data for South Sudan
- Office of the IGAD Special Envoys for South Sudan
- Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)
- Food Security Cluster: South Sudan
- Logistics Cluster: South Sudan
- Human Rights Watch: South Sudan - Events of 2016
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
September 20, 2017 (PRETORIA) - South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar expressed his frustration with the peace process led by the eastern African regional block saying they are no longer qualified to play this role and called for a new process aiming to end the war.
In a letter to the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on 14 September seen by Sudan Tribune, the exiled former first vice president was referring to the criticism against the IGAD countries which are accused of using the crisis to achieve national interests in the young nation of South Sudan.
September 16, 2017 (JUBA) - The Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC), the body overseeing the implementation of South Sudan’s 2015 peace accord has reiterated its call for a unified regional, continental and global approach towards the full implementation of the deal signed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
September 12, 2017 (JUBA) – Floods caused by rain have displaced more than 100,000 people in South Sudan, an official said, raising fears about the devastating impact this could have on food security in the war-torn nation.
"We are talking of over 70,000 individuals and 1,590 households affected in Awiel and 40,000 others in Maban county. Other regions like Jonglei and Lol have also reported high figures," Gatwech Peter Kulang, the undersecretary for the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Risk Management told Xinhua Tuesday.
September 2, 2017 (JUBA) - The Danish Minister of Development Cooperation, Ulla Tørnæs has pledged to continue providing humanitarian aid to South Sudan as millions struggle to survive because of a lack of food, water, healthcare and basic shelter.
Tørnæs was in war-torn South Sudan where he met the head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), David Shearer.
Shearer briefed the Danish minister on the political, security and the humanitarian situation in the war-torn East African country.
August 22, 2017 (WAU) - The number of people killed by hunger in Besillia county in South Sudan’s Wau state has hit 27, an official said.
The county commissioner, Francis Ibrahim said the humanitarian situation has worsened especially in Mboro payam where over 100 fled to Wau town last week.
“My people are dying while in my capacity as a county commissioner, I have nothing to help them with despite the fact that the president’s aid arrived in Wau. My county has not received any support from the donation,” he told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday.
August 21, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Sudan’s commissioner of refugees Hamad al-Gizouli Monday has expressed concern over the growing number of refugees in his country, especially those coming from South Sudan.
“There is a steady increase in the number of refugees, and the country now hosts 2,000,000 refugees, including 1,300,000 refugees from South Sudan,” al-Gizouli told reporters at a press conference in Khartoum.
August 21, 2017 (JUBA) - An outbreak of malaria in South Sudan has killed over 4,000 people since February, a senior health official disclosed last week.
“This year’s malaria is the most severe the country has ever seen,” Dr. Isaac Mapeer, the deputy head of Malaria Control Program at South Sudan’s Ministry of Health, told Anadolu Agency on Thursday.
A total of over 900,000 malaria cases had so far been registered, according to Mapeer.
“4,073 deaths were recorded since February, while 2,000 deaths were reported in 2016”, he stressed.
August 19, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudanese authorities have vowed to protect aid workers and facilitate the transportation of humanitarian supplies by providing adequate security to aid organizations.
Speaking to reporters in the capital, Juba, humanitarian affairs and disaster management minister, Hussein Mar Nyuot, acknowledged the difficulties aid workers and organizations face while delivering help to South Sudan.
August 21, 2017 (GAMBELLA) - The Governor of the Gambela region, Gatluak Tut Khot has urged South Sudanese refugees to return to Pagak, a former rebel stronghold within South Sudan’s Mawut state.
Gatluak, on Saturday, met several South Sudanese Nuer refugees in Kuergeng, an Ethiopian town located about 5 kilometers from Pagak town.
The refugees, South Sudan’s Consul in Gambella noted in a statement, vowed to return home since Maiwut was now liberated.
August 12, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - The White Nile State government Saturday said it plans to bring back into refugee camps some 46,000 South Sudanese living in the residential neighbourhoods in several towns.
The head of the technical coordination committee for refugee affairs in the White Nile State, Tayeb Mohamed Abdallah said they plan to relocate to the refugee camps near the border areas some 46,000 refugees living in Kosti, Rabek, Ad Douiem and other towns. by refugee law.
August 10, 2017 (JUBA)- South Sudan president, Salva Kiir has vowed not to accept any new peace talks with holdout opposition, accusing his opponents of putting personal ambitions above common interests.
Kiir told the visiting German foreign minister on Thursday that the national dialogue was the only forum through which people with legitimate concerns could be addressed, instead of renegotiating the agreement to accommodate and share power with individuals whom he claimed have placed personal ambitions above common interests.
August 6, 2017 (KHARTOUM) - Sudanese interior ministry Sunday has decided to divide a camp for South Sudanese refugees in the White Nile State into three camps, together with a number of measures to control the security situation.
The decision intervenes five days after a riots at Khor Al-Waral Camp where a mob of refugees set fires to tents before to looting stores and humanitarian services buildings. Also, there were reports that four Sudanese teachers have been raped.
July 26, 2017 (JUBA) - South Sudan government says the revitalization forum by the East African regional bloc (IGAD), which mediated the 2015 peace deal would not be another platform for negotiation of the new peace agreement between the two factions to the conflict.
“To the best of my knowledge, the IGAD revitalization is not a platform for renegotiation of the agreement. It is a forum meant to evaluate the peace agreement and to see areas which have not been implemented in the agreement could be fast tracked”, said the country’s cabinet affairs minister, Martin Elia Lomuro.
July 20, 2017 (BENTIU) – Hundreds of civilians fled Bentiu town, following renewed clashes on Thursday between South Sudan’s rival forces at Panakuach, north of Unity state.
Aid workers at the protection of civilians’ sites confirmed the attack.
A number of civilians, eyewitnesses told Sudan Tribune, were seen fleeing the town into the United Nations camp in Rubkotna.
“A large number of civilians feared of their safety in Bentiu, as the armed opposition approached 40 kilometers away northwest of Bentiu,” an eyewitness said Thursday.
July 15, 2017 (JUBA)- The head of the South Sudan peace implementation monitoring body, Festus Mogae this week has rejected calls to resign and declare the failure of the IGAD-brokered peace agreement.
The Chairman of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) denied he has failed to perform his duties. He told reporters on Thursday that a section of South Sudanese are unhappy with him, saying he failed his duties and called for resignation.
July 14, 2017 (JUBA) - More than 30,000 displaced civilians have arrived in the rebel stronghold of Pagak, near the border town with Ethiopia amid accusation by the rebels that the government forces continue attacks on their position in the Upper Nile region.
“Over 30,000 internally displaced persons ( IDPs ) have arrived in Pagak in the first two days of the offensive and the number increases by hours”, said Tut Rom commissioner of the rebel controlled Jotome area.
June 28, 2017 (JUBA) – Nearly 1,000 persons displaced from South Sudan’s Eastern Lakes state are fleeing to the rebel-held Payinjiar county in southern Unity state for safety, authorities disclosed on Wednesday.
The deputy spokesperson for the armed opposition (SPLM-IO) said the displaced were welcomed by area commissioner, John Tap Puot.
June 25, 2017 (KAMPALA) – South Sudanese refugees have condemned the lack of health care services and the continued shortage of food within the resettlement camps.
The refugees have calling on world leaders to urgently support the Ugandan government to help fight the current crisis.
Nearly a million refugees have arrived in Uganda since the crisis erupted in Juba in July 2016, leaving Uganda as the country putting up with the largest number of refugees in the continent.
June 21, 2017 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government welcomed and commended, on Wednesday, the joint national and international efforts collaboratively exerted to avert famine from occurring in the east African country.
These efforts were the result of the immediate and sustained multi-sector humanitarian assistance delivered to the population in the conflict-affected areas where the government is fighting opposition armed groups since over three years.
June 15, 2017 (KAMPALA) – The first batch of 49 health workers from South Sudan has completed diploma courses in Kampala, Uganda.
The batch, which comprised of clinical officers, registered nurses and midwives, completed three years of training at Mengo hospital in Kampala.
The graduates from International Christian Medical and Dental National (ICMDN) Institute of Health Sciences in South Sudan’s Jonglei state relocated to Uganda due to insecurity and conflict.