Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan, January - December 2018
- WFP Completes First Food Delivery by Boat in Upper Nile
- UN considering new base on western bank of Nile to give South Sudanese refugees confidence to return
- South Sudan declares the end of its longest cholera outbreak
- South Sudan: Warring Parties Break Promises on Child Soldiers
Zenebe Teklewold/Filip Andersson
Swift, well-coordinated actions by different components of UNMISS saw two separate outbreaks of fire in the Bentiu protection of civilians site being taken care of without any resulting deaths or injuries. The fires, occurring over the weekend, destroyed a total of 117 shelters.
“The coordination between different components of UNMISS was really commendable and that was what made a timely and effective response possible,” says Anastasie Nyirigira, Acting Head of the UNMISS Bentiu Field Office.
During the reporting period, 2,749 households in North and south Darfur were provided with ES/ NFI items from the NFI Common Pipeline through implementing partners. A breakdown of distributions can be seen in the table below.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) respond to environmental emergencies through the Joint UNEP/OCHA Environment Unit (JEU). JEU combines UNEP's environmental expertise with the OCHA-coordinated humanitarian network. This helps to ensure an integrated approach by coordinating international efforts and mobilizing partners.
Central America - Food Insecurity
• Guatemala - a food insecure population of 1 to 2.49 million people from February until next main harvest in August 2016.
• Honduras, many poor households will have very limited maize reserves after the 2015 drought and will be facing a food crisis by March.
• El Salvador & Nicaragua - the number of people affected is lower but still of concern with critical numbers being reached from March 2016.
February 16, 2015 (BENTIU) – Fire has destroyed 102 shelters in a UN compound in Unity state for internally displaced people, according to residents who have resided at the site since the country’s current crisis erupted in mid-December 2013.
In an exclusive interview with Sudan Tribune by satellite phone that the fire started when a woman lit a charcoal fire.
Most of shelters in various UN camps are made locally from flammable goods such as wood and grass.