- UNICEF: Childhood under attack: The staggering impact of South Sudan’s crisis on children
- REACH: Southern Torit County Displacement and Service Access Brief: Torit County, Eastern Equatoria State, South Sudan, Nov 2017
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 18 | 8 December 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- UNHCR: 2017 South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal
- IOM South Sudan Consolidated Appeal 2017
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- UNHCR Global Focus
- OCHA South Sudan
- UNHCR South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- IOM Displacement Tracking & Monitoring (DTM) South Sudan
- Open Data for South Sudan
- UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMIS)
- Office of the IGAD Special Envoys for South Sudan
- Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)
- Food Security Cluster: South Sudan
- Logistics Cluster: South Sudan
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
- South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Sep 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- South Sudan: 2018 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) January - December 2018, December 2017
- 2018 South Sudan Humanitarian Needs Overview
- Save the Children statement in response to UN Humanitarian Coordinator Press Conference, Juba, 22.11.17
- Farming together reaps multiple benefits for refugees and their South Sudanese hosts
- South Sudan Humanitarian Coordinator condemns attack against civilians, aid workers in Duk County
The referendum held in January 2011 resulted in an independent South Sudan. However, since then there have been tensions between the North and the South around unresolved issues such as border demarcation, wealth-sharing and the disputed territory of Abyei. In early September 2011, intense fighting broke out in the Blue Nile State of Sudan between the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army Movement-North (SPLM-N).
- Executive Summary
Asylum seekers and refugees in Kayole, Eastleigh and Kitengela have made great strides integrating into the social and economic life of Nairobi. The livelihoods baseline illustrates that the socio-economic profile of the urban asylum seeker or refugee is not that of desperation and dependence. Rather it is one of incredible resilience in the face of significant odds. The majority are engaged in economic activities in the informal sector, and have made modest gains with limited support from the Government of Kenya or the humanitarian community.
The NORCAP standby roster strengthens the UN, international organizations and governments' efforts to build resilience and respond to crisis. With 149 person-years in the field last year, NORCAP’s contribution in 2012 was the largest in the history of the roster.
in 2012, NORCAP sent experts on 348 missions around the world, amounting to 1784 person-months - or 149 years - in the field. The main priorities were support to UN and national government's responses to the Syrian refugee crisis and the conflict in Mali.
Une stratégie unique qui englobe pour la première fois l’aide humanitaire, la coopération technique et financière, les mesures de politique économique et commerciale et la coopération avec les pays de l’Est : ce tournant important a été salué aussi bien par le Parlement que par l’opinion publique, soulignent le directeur de la DDC Martin Dahinden et Marie-Gabrielle Ineichen-Fleisch, Secrétaire d’Etat et directrice du SECO, dans le rapport annuel 2012 sur la coopération internationale de la Suisse qui vient de sortir de presse.
The just-published 2012 Annual Report on Switzerland's International Cooperation sets out a unified strategy that encompasses – for the first time – humanitarian aid, technical and financial cooperation, economic and trade policy measures, and cooperation with the countries of Eastern Europe. SDC Director-General Martin Dahinden and State Secretary and Director of SECO Marie-Gabrielle Ineichen-Fleisch stress that this important milestone has been welcomed both by Parliament and by public opinion.
This report forms part of a one-year DFID-funded research project, implemented by Tearfund and ODI, that aims to explore the links between service delivery of water supply and sanitation and the wider processes of state-building and peace-building in fragile and conflict-affected states.
1 . EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The purpose of the following REACH brief is to highlight the social and political dynamics present in Yida refugee camp. Understanding the social organization is essential for providing targeted, humanitarian aid in an effective and socially respectable manner. This brief provides the humanitarian community with a snapshot of the social dynamics of Yida refugee camp.
Total 2012 figures of migrants between Djibouti and Yemen: In 2012, a total of 107,532 persons arrived on the shores of Yemen. The number of migrants arriving in Yemen in 2012; were a 4 per cent increase from the 103,532 persons who arrived in Yemen in 2011, and more than double the 53,382 migrants who arrived in Yemen in 2010. 75 per cent or 80,465 persons who arrived in Yemen in 2012 travelled via Djibouti.
Significant achievements for children in a challenging year
By Chris Niles
NEW YORK, United States of America, 31 December 2012 – It’s been another challenging year for UNICEF and its partners – responding to a wide range of humanitarian needs under less-than-ideal financial circumstances.
But significant gains have been realized, particularly in the fight against disease and child mortality.
As of 31 of December 2012, Ethiopia hosted a total of 376,410 refugees: 223,243 (59.31%) Somalis, 86,177 (22.89%) Sudanese, 62,996 (16.74%) Eritreans and 3,994 (1.06%) from other nationalities. The cumulative figure includes an estimated 20,000 unregistered refugees from South Sudan who are staying with the host communities along the border in Wanthawo Woreda in Western Ethiopia. In November 4,580 new refugees were registered in Ethiopia, while in December the number of new arrivals doubled and reached 10,417.
The Quarterly Security Brief provides a summary and analysis of the reported activities of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) from July-September 2012 (Q3 2012). This brief covers LRA activity in Central African Republic (CAR), Democratic Republic of Congo (Congo), South Sudan, and Sudan.
Key messages from the FSNWG meeting held on December 13, 2012 (FSNWG, 13/12/12)
The food security situation in the region continues to improve. The current conditions are better in comparison to the same time last year and as good as has been observed in the 5 years.
October to December agro-climatic conditions have been favourable for agricultural and livestock production (FEWS NET Nov 12). A normal cessation to October to December rains is expected
Humanitarian partners appeal for US$1.18 billion to meet emergency needs in South Sudan for 2012.
From the Balkans to Afghanistan, Lebanon, Sudan and Haiti, UNEP has responded to crisis situations in more than 40 countries since 1999, delivering world-class environmental expertise to national governments and partners in the UN family.
In response to increased global awareness of the environmental dimensions of crises, and to growing demand for the services that address them, UNEP has identified “disasters and conflicts” as one of its six priority areas.
UNEP’s Post-Conflict and Disaster Management Branch coordinates the theme.
Messages clés :
En Afrique de l’Ouest, les prix des produits alimentaires étaient stables ou ont diminué en novembre tandis que leurs disponibilités continuaient à s’améliorer avec la campagne de commercialisation en cours. Des hausses de prix ont eu lieu plus tôt que prévu dans des centres urbains de la région et dans les zones structurellement déficitaires en raison des flux limités de produits en provenance des régions de production excédentaire.
Excellent logistics facilities
UNHCR Dubai enjoys excellent logistics facilities. A seamless supply chain by sea and air is ensured through proximity to Jebel Ali, the Middle East's biggest and busiest seaport. From Jebel Ali, cargo vessels sail weekly to ports worldwide including remote destinations. Also, six international airports are located within a three hour driving radius, where charter planes can be deployed in 24 to 48 hours. Dubai's logistics services are renowned for their professionalism and cost efficiency.