Appeals & Response Plans
- South Sudan: Rift Valley Fever Outbreak - Dec 2017
- South Sudan: Floods - Sep 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jul 2016
- South Sudan: Food Insecurity - 2015-2018
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - Jun 2015
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- South Sudan: Kala-azar Outbreak - Sep 2014
- South Sudan: Floods - Aug 2014
- South Sudan: Cholera Outbreak - May 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read (last 30 days)
- Report of the Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan (A/HRC/37/71)
- One year on from famine declaration, more South Sudanese are going hungry
- Hungry for Peace: Exploring the Links Between Conflict and Hunger in South Sudan (February 2018)
- Nearly two-thirds of the population in South Sudan at risk of rising hunger
- Humanitarian Coordinator calls for urgent action to avert worsening food crisis in South Sudan
High levels of food insecurity persist in the world, due largely to conflicts and to adverse climatic shocks that are taking a toll, particularly in East African and Near East countries, where large numbers of people continue to be in need of humanitarian assistance, a new FAO report notes. Some 37 countries are in need of external assistance for food, unchanged from three months ago, according to the Crop Prospects and Food Situation report issued today.
Tokyo – The Government of Japan has donated USD 30.5 million to support IOM, the UN Migration Agency, in its 2018 operations – assisting vulnerable migrants such as displaced persons, refugees, returnees and affected communities, in the midst of various conflicts and crises continuing around the world. With this donation, Japan will also support increasing the capacity of various governments in their humanitarian border management efforts.
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS ) summary for January 2018 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia / Somaliland and Yemen.
COUNTRIES REQUIRING EXTERNAL ASSISTANCE FOR FOOD
FAO assesses that globally 37 countries are in need of external assistance for food.
Conflicts continue to be the main factor driving the high levels of severe food insecurity.
Weather shocks have also adversely impacted food availability and access, notably in East Africa.
In this issue
On the Agenda – Focus on 30th summit
The election of 10 new PSC members shows that consultation within regions prevailed over competition between member states.
Rwandan President Paul Kagame is still struggling to convince all member states to agree to AU reforms.
Plans to make Nepad a development agency are pitting the old guard against the reformers.
Along the Eastern Route (between the Horn of Africa and Yemen)
At the beginning of 2017, movement from Yemen was primarily influenced by the ongoing conflict that left approximately 2 million internally displaced people. However, the numbers of migrants arriving into Yemen from the Horn of Africa via the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden, were slightly lower than in 2016 particularly along the Red Sea route due to reports of deportations from Yemen.
RMMS launched Phase 2 of the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4Mi) in June 2017.
This snapshot presents an overview of findings from June through December 2017, focussing on how gender influences migration experiences.
This snapshot examines what 4Mi Phase 2 data reveals about why and how women migrate and how gender impacts on conditions along the route. The data draws on interviews with 165 women and 340 men on the move from Horn of Africa.
13th February 2018, Mombasa, Kenya: The period between March and May (MAM) constitute an important rainfall season over the equatorial parts of the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA) region. The prediction of MAM 2018 season indicates increased likelihood of near normal to enhanced rainfall over much of the Greater Horn of Africa. However, near normal to depressed rainfall is likely to occur over much of Somalia, southeastern Ethiopia and eastern Kenya.
Nairobi, 15 February 2018- Sometimes, the choices migrants make is dependent on the information, or lack of it, that is available to them. Being informed in a timely and accessible manner remains vital if migrants are to make the right or informed decisions. To ensure this, IOM, the UN Migration Agency has rolled out a mobile app called MigApp to empower migrants in East and Horn of Africa.
Foreword from the Regional Director
The Government has decided to allocate SEK 800 million over four years (2018–2021) to the Strategy for Sweden’s regional development cooperation in sub-Saharan Africa. The strategy has been updated to more clearly focus on the link between humanitarian assistance and long-term development, particularly in the Horn of Africa countries. The Government considers that there is considerable potential for Sweden to contribute to increased resilience to crises and disasters, and to conflict prevention and conflict management regionally.
INTRODUCTION & KEY TAKEAWAYS
A variety of natural hazards—including cyclical drought, floods, and environmental degradation—are endemic to the East and Central Africa (ECA) region, where conflict, rapid population growth, and limited government response capacity have compounded humanitarian needs over the last decade. Between FY 2008 and FY 2017, USAID’s Office of U.S.
As at end December 2017, UN-coordinated appeals and refugee response plans within the Global Humanitarian Overview (GHO) required US$24.7 billion to meet the humanitarian needs of 105.1 million crisis-affected people in 38 countries. Together the appeals were funded at $13.8 billion, or 54% of requirements. Funding for the appeals in 2017 fell 46% short of requirements, with $10.9 billion outstanding.
In September 2016, the UN General Assembly adopted the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants. UN Member States committed to strengthening and enhancing mechanisms to protect refugees and migrants and to move towards a more effective system of responsibility sharing in the international refugee response. States committed to working towards the adoption of a Global Compact on Refugees in 2018, to consist of a Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) and a Programme of Action for implementation.
The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) monitors trends in staple food prices in countries vulnerable to food insecurity. For each FEWS NET country and region, the Price Bulletin provides a set of charts showing monthly prices in the current marketing year in selected urban centers and allowing users to compare current trends with both five-year average prices, indicative of seasonal trends, and prices in the previous year.
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) summary for November 2017 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia/Somaliland and Yemen.
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7.4 billion. The total amount received to date is $4.6 billion (62%), which leaves a shortfall of $2.8 billion (38%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.96 billion (53%), which leaves a shortfall of $2.62 billion (47%).