Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Mekunu - May 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Somalia: Flash Floods - Apr 2018
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Somalia: Drought - 2015-2018
Most read reports
The impending expiration of the mandate of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) offers donors an opportunity to critically assess the statebuilding policies they have been pursuing in Somalia. Building on contemporary notions of how Somali politics work, this brief aims to contribute to the 'what next?' debate by examining the emerging trend towards a more decentralized approach. In the absence of a functioning central government, a variety of non-state actors have responded to the needs of the Somali people.
Recent years have seen a surge in piracy in the Gulf of Aden, followed by growing international involvement in pursuing pirates off the Somali coast. The piracy problem is multifaceted and includes complex geopolitical, regional, legal and operational challenges. But the commitment demonstrated by a broad range of actors to fight piracy in Somali waters also offers unique opportunities.