Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Mekunu - May 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Somalia: Flash Floods - Apr 2018
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Somalia: Drought - 2015-2018
Largest Resettlement Effort in United States
The Catholic Church resettled 17,823 refugees in 2008, through Migration and Refugee Services of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB/MRS) and its network of diocesan entities, representing 30 percent of the total refugees admitted to the nation. Overall, the U.S. government admitted 60,192 refugees during the fiscal year that ended September 30.
This number represents a 31 percent increase over last year in the number of cases handled by MRS.
WASHINGTON (December 6, 2006)-Bishop Thomas G. Wenski, chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) international policy committee, has urged National Security Advisor Stephen J. Hadley to work more aggressively with the United Nations and neighboring African countries to address increasing violence in Somalia.
"Rising tensions, militarization and a lack of genuine dialogue have created a situation where a major conflict has become increasingly likely," Bishop Wenski said in a letter to Mr. Hadley.