Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Luban - Oct 2018
- Somalia: Polio Outbreak - Aug 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Mekunu - May 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Somalia: Flash Floods - Apr 2018
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Same Tune, New Key: Al Shabaab Adapts in the Face of Increased Military Pressure
- Somalia: Upsurge in violence triggers new wave of displacement
- 11 mothers from one village in Somalia die giving birth in one week
- Spike in Somalia violence forces 21,000 people to flee their homes
- WHO and Somali Government roll out process to deliver quality health services to all Somalis
Civilian casualties are common in Somalia, the world’s most dangerous country. Ravaged by two decades of conflict, the current fighting between the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) supported by the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and various armed groups (notably al-Shabaab) continues to take a heavy toll on the civilian population.
New report presses parties to the conflict to respond to harm
NAIROBI- Parties to the conflict in Somalia can take immediate measures to lessen its impact on civilians, said CIVIC, the Washington-based organization advocating on behalf of civilians in war, in a report launched today. Civilian Harm in Somalia: Creating an Appropriate Response details what Somalis want in response to harm. Research was conducted with support from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Advocacy group calls on UN and AMISOM to protect civilians, address civilian harm
Following yesterday's extension of the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) mandate by the UN Security Council, Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC) called on the UN and AMISOM to ensure the reinforced peace operation prioritizes protection and helps civilians caught in the conflict's crossfire.
The renewed mandate reaffirms UN support for the African Union's peace support operation in Somalia to bolster the Transitional Federal Government and authorized an increase in …