Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Luban - Oct 2018
- Somalia: Polio Outbreak - Aug 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Mekunu - May 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Somalia: Flash Floods - Apr 2018
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- UnSettlement: Urban displacement in the 21st century: City of flight -New and secondary displacements in Mogadishu, Somalia (November 2018)
- Somalia: Humanitarian Snapshot (as of 11 December 2018)
- Drought Crisis in Somalia: More coordination is needed to face upcoming humanitarian crises
- East Africa Seasonal Monitor: December 09, 2018
- Somalia’s government lays out next steps to tackle corruption and strengthen accountability with international support
Floods in the Horn of Africa-High vulnerability of populations-Major floods have recently hit parts of Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia. Estimated numbers of the affected populations are changing rapidly because assessments are still on-going, and new flooding is still occurring.
The major impacts of the floods are the destruction of assets, shelter and infrastructure including roads, contamination of water, destruction of farmlands and deaths of animals. This leads to a disrupted food supply, increase food insecurity, and risk to disease for both humans and animals.
Kenya- Food insecurity still extremely severe in pastoral areas- Highland cropping areas have reported a favourable harvest and prices have fallen in these areas. However, the rainy season has brought only modest improvements in marginal agricultural areas, where the harvest was poor.
Alarming situation in Somali region and Zone 2 and 4 of Afar region
Nutrition surveys conducted early this year confirmed the serious situation in parts of the pastoral areas (table 1). This is partly due to the poor last deyr rainy season (see NICS 8). Under-five mortality rates were also high in most of the areas surveyed.