- OCHA Drought Response - Situation Report No. 16 (14 Sept 2017) su
- Report of the Secretary-General on Somalia (S/2017/751) - 05 Sep 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Somalia Humanitarian Fund (SHF) 2016 Annual Report
- Horn of Africa: A Call for Action, February 2017
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2017
- Humanitarian Response Plan May 2017
- 2016-2018 Humanitarian Strategy
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- UNHCR Somalia Situation Supplementary Appeal 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Somalia Humanitarian Fund (SHF)
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- OCHA Somalia
- UNHCR Information Sharing Portal: Refugees in the Horn of Africa: Somali Displacement Crisis
- FSNAU (FAO Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit Somalia)
- SWALIM (Somalia Water and Land Information Management)
- UNHCR Global Focus
- Human Rights Watch: Somalia - Events of 2016
- New Deal Somalia
- UNSOM (UN Assistance Mission in Somalia)
- Food Security Cluster: Somalia
- Logistics Cluster: Somalia
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Somalia: Drought - 2015-2017
- Somalia: Floods - Apr 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2014
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - May 2014
About DTM`s Flow Monitoring Surveys
This research started in October 2015 and is being conducted within the framework of IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) activities for monitoring populations on the move through the Mediterranean and Western Balkan Routes to Europe.
Compilation of available statistical data indicates that the arrivals to Europe through the Mediterranean in the first eight months of 2017 is lower when compared to the same period in 2016. As of 31 August 2017, national authorities in Greece, Italy, Cyprus, Bulgaria and Spain registered 131,167 newly arrived migrants mostly from the Middle East, Africa, South and Central Asia which is in a sharp contrast to 297,255 recorded during the same period in 2016 (56% decrease).
Around the world, there are too many refugee children who haven’t just lost their homes, they’re also losing their futures every single day.
More than half of all the refugee children in the world – 3.5 million children – aren’t in school.
Facts & Figures:
65.6 million people forcibly displaced;
20 million at risk of famine in North-East Nigeria, South Sudan,
Somalia and Yemen;
1.5 billion people living in fragile and conflict-affected countries.
International Conference on Social Protection on 28-29 September 2017, with the participation of 25 countries;
Development of a training package and provision of guidance on social protection in fragile contexts;
Jusqu’à trois quarts des enfants et des jeunes victimes de mauvais traitements, de traite et d’exploitation sur les routes migratoires de la mer Méditerranée – UNICEF, OIM
Les enfants d’Afrique subsaharienne sont davantage touchés que les autres groupes de migrants, une différence a priori liée à la discrimination et au racisme
Le rapport appelle l’Europe à ouvrir des voies de migration sécurisées et légales
Young migrants and refugees set out to escape harm or secure better futures – and face staggering risks in the process. For 17-year old Mohammad, who traveled through Libya to seek asylum in Italy, violence and persecution back home meant the choice was clear: “We risked our lives to come here,” he says, “we crossed a sea. We knew it is not safe, so we sacrificed. We do it, or we die.”
This report summarises the findings of four focus group discussions conducted with a total of 36 refugees, asylum-seekers, and migrants in Izmir, from Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Eritrea, Nigeria, and Ethiopia. All focus group discussions took place on 26 July 2017. Two discussions were held with male participants, one with female participants, and one with a mixed group.
In 2017, Humanitarian Response Plans (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7.4 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.9 billion (39%), which leaves a shortfall of $4.5 billion (61%).
The Syria Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) requested US$5.58 billion. The total amount received to date is $2.17 billion (39%), which leaves a shortfall of $3.40 billion (61%).
Water is indispensable to human life. Though plentiful, it is limited and global demand for freshwater has been growing rapidly due to population growth and greater affluence. At the same time, climate change and environmental degradation are altering the regional and seasonal availability and quality of water. The resulting competition over water use may lead to conflict and sometimes violence, though researchers emphasize that it is rarely the lack of water as such that fuels conflict, but rather its governance and management.
Note by the Secretary-General
The Secretary-General has the honour to transmit to the members of the General Assembly the joint report of the Special Rapporteur on the sale and sexual exploitation of children, including child prostitution, child pornography and other child sexual abuse material, Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, and the Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children, Maria Grazia Giammarinaro, submitted in accordance with General Assembly resolution 71/177 and Human Rights Council resolutions 34/16 and 35/5.
Far fewer refugees and migrants entered Europe via the Mediterranean routes than in the first half of 2016,1 largely due to a drastic decrease in numbers crossing the sea to Greece.2 The first six months of 2017 saw an increase in the number of refugees and migrants entering Europe via the Central Mediterranean route to Italy, with 83,752 arrivals.3 However, due to lower arrival levels in July, numbers have remained at a similar level to last year. Arrivals also increased via the Western Mediterranean route to Spain (by 93%) compared to the same period last year.
Mossoul, Alep, Sanaa… Incarnation de la barbarie des hommes, en 2016 et 2017, ces villes ont été le symbole du mépris le plus total de la vie des civils. Le 23 septembre prochain, à l’occasion de sa 23e Pyramide de chaussures, Handicap International dénoncera à nouveau ces pratiques, rappelant que ces atteintes à la vie des civils ne sont pas une fatalité. Dans 29 villes en France, des voix s’élèveront partout pour rappeler aux États leur responsabilité en matière de protection des civils.
Our methodology uses 9 indicators, grouped under 3 categories:
Access of humanitarian actors to affected population
Access of people in need to humanitarian aid
Security and physical constraints Each category is measured through proxy indicators, such as violence against personnel, denial of needs, or active hostilities.
Data is collected at the country level and may therefore not show disparities between sub-regions.
UNHCR Appeals For Support To Address Refugee Resettlement Needs In Africa
The vast unmet need for refugee resettlement from Africa and the opportunities for communities to engage in the sponsorship of refugees were two of the key themes discussed when representatives of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), governments and NGOs from resettlement states and other inter-governmental bodies gathered in Geneva for the 2017 Annual Tripartite Consultations on Resettlement (ATCR).
Representation at the ATCR
Education unlocks the potential of young minds, and helps new generations realise their dreams for the future. However, we are facing a global education crisis. Millions of children are out of school, or in school but not learning. We must put education at the top of the agenda.
This report analyses data collected from refugees and asylum-seekers in Gaziantep and Kilis, Turkey between April 24 and May 6, 2017. It is the first in a series of data collection rounds by Ground Truth Solutions in Turkey, under the Mixed Migration Platform (MMP). Additional data collection will include both quantitative and qualitative research, looking at refugee, asylum-seeker, and migrant perceptions of humanitarian assistance in different regions of Turkey.