Appeals & Response Plans
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Somalia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Somalia: Floods - Apr 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2014
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - May 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- Horn of Africa Drought Response Issue No. 08 (31st January 2018)
- Top UN humanitarian official in Somalia: ‘we are not out of the woods yet’ on drought relief efforts [EN/SO]
- Huge measles campaign in drought-hit Somalia aims to protect children and save lives
- SWALIM supports mapping of groundwater sources for priority humanitarian interventions in Somalia
- Somalia on edge of slipping back towards famine if aid is pulled out
ICRC NEWS 04
** SHORT MENU....
SOMALIA: ICRC COMBATS CHOLERA OUTBREAK IN MOGADISHU: Although the deyr, the shorter of Somalia's two rainy seasons, should have long been over by now, rain continues to fall in areas hit by torrential downpours since last October.
BYLINE=SONYA LAURENCE GREEN
New York, Jan. 16, 1998 -- A Lutheran World Relief grant of $20,000 is for flood victims in Somalia. Overflow of the Juba and Shabelle rivers has flooded villages in the surrounding areas, leaving people temporarily or permanently homeless. Most of the food traditionally stored underground has been destroyed and standing crops are rotting under water. Chances of a second planting are uncertain. Latrines have been flooded, dysentery is on the rise and a severe outbreak of malaria
The flooding in Somalia has so far caused 1,855 deaths. About one million people are still at risk. Diseases such as diarrhoea, malaria and respiratory infections are widespread. Outbreaks of cholera have been confirmed in Mogadishu, Merca and Kismayo. The UN system, NGOs and bilateral donors are undertaking joint operations for relief and rehabilitation at least until June 1998. To date, $14.3 million has been raised for the flood victims. UNDP is offering logistical support and facilitating the coordination of the operation.