Appeals & Response Plans
- Somalia: Polio Outbreak - Aug 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Mekunu - May 2018
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Somalia: Flash Floods - Apr 2018
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- 11 mothers from one village in Somalia die giving birth in one week
- Somalia cVDPV Outbreak Response Situation Report #8 (8 October 2018)
- Somalia: Tropical Storm Alert - Issued: 12 October 2018
- Somalia: Shelter Activities - Who is doing What Where (3W) (September 2018)
- Norway Contributes NOK 450 Million to Multi Partner Fund in Somalia
Will an El Nino take place?
Current forecasts of Eastern Pacific sea surface temperatures (SST) and expert judgement point to a significant likelihood of an El Nino materializing: currently this stands at 50-55% chance of it happening in the northern hemisphere Autumn and 65-70% chance of it developing in the coming Winter.
How long is it likely to last?
Judging from the forecasts for how SST are likely to evolve, this El Nino, should it materialize, is likely to be relatively short and over by mid 2019.
In a complex and fast-changing world, we remain focused and resolute in pursuit of our goal – to provide the most appropriate, effective medicine in the harshest of environments. As well as responding to vital needs, our aid is born of a desire to show solidarity with people who are suffering, whether as a result of conflict, neglect or disease.
Project and Document Summary
Security Incidents and Access Constraints
29 June 2018: In Banki town, Borno state, Boko Haram attacked an IDP camp and killed four IDPs before being engaged in an hour-long fighting with soldiers. Source: ACLED
On the week of July 8th Africa was marked by several important attacks and developments.
THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION,
Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No 1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid1 , and in particular Article 2, Article 4 and Article 15(2) and (3) thereof,
Having regard to Council Decision 2013/755/EU of 25 November 2013 on the association of the overseas countries and territories with the European Union ('Overseas Association Decision')2 , and in particular Article 79 thereof,
Mogadishu 8 June 2018. The Government of Somalia has this week signed up to a regional marine partnership initiative to ensure the sustainability of the livelihoods, environment and resources of the Western Indian Ocean. Eight other countries in the region are taking part in the initiative – Comoros, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Seychelles, South Africa, and Tanzania.
Global Overview MAY 2018
WaPOR: database dissemination portal and APIs
The FAO portal to monitor Water Productivity through Open access of Remotely sensed derived data (WaPOR) monitors and reports on agriculture water productivity over Africa and the Near East.
It provides open access to the water productivity database and its thousands of underlying map layers, it allows for direct data queries, time series analyses, area statistics and data download of key variables associated to water and land productivity assessments.
While Africa has seen tremendous progress towards access to immunization, one in five African children still lack access to all the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended life-saving vaccines, a threat not only to the health of families, but also to the strength of economies and equity in African societies.
Here is a selection of the latest evidence on violence against women and girls (VAWG):
ENGAGING MEN AS FATHERS
The impact of engaging fathers on Intimate Partner Violence:
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) summary for March 2018 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia / Somaliland and Yemen.
Global Overview APRIL 2018
↗ International prices of wheat and maize rose in March for the third consecutive month and averaged more than 10 percent above their levels in December 2017. Prices were mainly supported by concerns over the impact of prolonged dryness in key-growing areas of the United States of America and Argentina, coupled with strong demand. International rice prices remained relatively stable.
• In West Africa, markets are adequately supplied in the months following the main harvest. However, market supplies are below average in several countries due to localized deficits and stock retention. Demand is picking up as household stocks begin to deplete and with ongoing institutional purchases. Local grain prices were stable in most countries but remained above average and are expected to remain so through to the lean season. Regional livestock markets remain affected by a general lack of pasture and reduced Nigerian import demand (Page 3).
Abnormal dryness emerges across Ethiopia
Africa Weather Hazards
Due to poor rainfall since November western Namibia is in a severe drought. Condi ons may worsen as limited rain is forecast next week.
Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) summary for February 2018 covering mixed migration events, trends and data for Djibouti, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia / Somaliland and Yemen.
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.