9,034 entries found
Sort by: Latest |Relevance
13 Oct 2018 description

KEY MESSAGES

• Over the reporting period, a lower number of total 77 entries recorded compared to last week. No exits recorded this week.

• Majority of the new arrivals said that their reason for displacement into the IDP sites was due to Insecurity (65%). In addition, 17% cited shortage of food, and few other reasons for displacement.

13 Oct 2018 description

KEY MESSAGES

  • 24 entries and zero exits recorded in Dolow IDPs camps. The number of entries decreased slightly compared to the previous week.

  • Majority of the new arrivals cited food as their reason for displacement (60%). The rest cited insecurity (40%).

  • All of the new arrivals came from Ethiopia as there were some tribal conflict between the Oromo and Somali community in the last two months.

13 Oct 2018 description

KEY MESSAGES

• 317 entries and 11 exits reported across all the checkpoints this week. The trend shows a slight decrease on entries compared to last week. Few exits recorded this week, the lowest since March 2018. The small number of exits and high number of entries may be because of the end of harvest season where people are returning to the camps and few people are leaving.

• Reasons for displacement into the IDP sites: insecurity (75%), joining the rest of the family (16%) to seek better services (5%), to seek livelihood opportunities (4%)

13 Oct 2018 description
report UN General Assembly

AG/EF/3499

Assemblée générale Deuxième Commission
Soixante-treizième session, 10e et 11e séances – matin & après-midi

12 Oct 2018 description
report UN General Assembly

GA/EF/3499

GENERAL ASSEMBLY SECOND COMMITTEE
SEVENTY-THIRD SESSION, 10TH & 11TH MEETINGS (AM & PM)

Destructive impacts of climate change like droughts, floods and increasingly severe storms are the primary culprits behind decreased farming output and rising hunger worldwide, speakers told the Second Committee (Economic and Financial), as it took up agriculture, food security and nutrition today.

11 Oct 2018 description

Tropical cyclone Luban is expected to bring heavy rains to Yemen and Oman

Africa Weather Hazards

  1. Heavy rainfall in previous weeks has resulted in overflowing of the Niger and Benue Rivers of Nigeria. Moderate to heavy rainfall is forecast to continue, maintaining high risks for flooding.

09 Oct 2018 description

In August, a total of 34,219 individuals were recorded at Flow Monitoring Points. This represents a slight decrease in comparison with July when 35,885 individuals were recorded. While the overall number of persons remained at similar levels, the percentage of inflows decreased in comparison with July (69% in July against 56% in August). Like in July, Harirad Flow Monitoring Point (Awdal region at the border with Ethiopia) continued to record the highest number of entries for August, while Bossaso continued to record the highest number of exits.

08 Oct 2018 description

Northern seasonal rains forecast to typically subside and likely timely onset for October rains

KEY MESSAGES

  • The June to September seasonal rains gradually subsided in late September, marking the cessation of persistent well aboveaverage rainfall amounts across most of the northern sector, which led to widespread flooding in Sudan. However, some areas of the region experienced significant cumulative seasonal deficits, including some central areas of Ethiopia, eastern and central South Sudan, and northern and eastern Uganda.

08 Oct 2018 description

La dynamique des conflits a aggravé la vulnérabilité des populations, causé des dégâts à l’agriculture, aux pêcheries et aux moyens de subsistance pastoraux et porté atteinte à la liberté de circulation, aux échanges commerciaux et à la gouvernance locale.

Rôle de la TICAD au service du développement de l’Afrique

Depuis la tenue de la TICAD VI en 2016, l’Afrique n’a eu de cesse d’avancer dans la bonne direction.

08 Oct 2018 description

TICAD's Role in Advancing Africa's Development

Conflict dynamics have increased the vulnerability of the population, damaged agriculture, fisheries and livelihoods, and affected freedom of movement, trade and local governance.

Since TICAD VI in 2016, Africa has been on the move.

08 Oct 2018 description
report UN Children's Fund

Highlights

10 out of the 21 countries in Eastern and Southern Africa Region (ESAR) have reported more than 34,109 cholera / AWD cases and 412 deaths (Case Fatality Rate, 1.2%), since the beginning of 2018. These countries include; Angola, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe accounts for 25.7 % of the total case load reported this year, followed by Somalia at 17.9%.

08 Oct 2018 description

Foreword from the Regional Director

Welcome to the September edition of the UN Migration Agency Bulletin for the East and Horn of Africa.