- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Fourth Biennial Meeting of States
on Illicit Trade in Small Arms
Countries awash with weapons -- especially in poorer regions where arms-smuggling was rampant -- needed ‘real assistance’ from technical experts and civil society organizations to curb illegal commerce in small arms and light weapons, speakers stressed yesterday, as the Third Biennial Meeting to halt the illicit trade reached the halfway mark of its week-long session.
Meeting of States to Consider Action
Programme on Illicit Small Arms Trade
3rd & 4th Meetings (AM & PM)
As a first step towards reducing the risks associated with surplus stockpiles of small arms -- potential sources of illegal weapons in circulation -- the international community should raise States’ awareness of the urgent need to effectively manage those stockpiles, delegates heard today as the Biennial Meeting of States on combating the illicit small arms and light weapons trade continued.
With decades of experience in disarming, demobilizing and reintegrating ex-combatants, including some 400,000 over the past five years alone, the United Nations today launched a new set of standards aimed at improving the process, which is considered essential to restoring stability to war-ravaged countries.
"We're very proud of the work we've done so far in places like Sierra Leone and Afghanistan, where more than 134,000 combatants laid down their arms with United Nations help, but we acknowledge that we can do better," said United Nations Deputy …