- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
This map shows landslides mapped from satellite imagery following the Regent event on 15 August 2017. The main landslide outline in Regent has been updated from the product released by UNITAR-UNOSAT (published 16 August, version 1.0) using the updated UNITAR-UNOSAT georectification of the satellite image on 17th August.
Type of Event: Flood
Location of Event: Sierra Leone
Date of Charter Activation: 15 August 2017
Time of Charter Activation: 11:28:00
Time zone of Charter Activation: UTC+02:00
Charter Requestor: UNOOSA on behalf of FAO Sierra Leone Office and UN Country Team
Description of the event
Heavy rain has caused floods and mudslides in Sierra Leone, leaving over 300 dead.
This map illustrates the total August rainfall accumulation for East Africa, derived from the CMORPH precipitation dataset at a spatial resolution of approximately 10km for this region, and was calculated using microwave and infrared data from geostationary satellites. It is possible that precipitation levels may have been underestimated for local areas, and is not a substitute for ground station measurements.