- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Sierra Leone - "Medical and Nutritional
support and Disease control" (target population 700,000).
*Why is external healthcare expertise required?
The UN Human Development Index places Sierra Leone bottom of 124 countries surveyed in terms of life expectancy and quality of living. The Healthcare capacity is limited due to conflict and faces demand from large numbers of displaced people. Poverty and overcrowding heightens disease threat.
What does Merlin do?
The elections in Sierra Leone have marked a crucial stage in the country's turbulent history.
I. Merlin - a small organisation with a big impact:
Democratic Republic of Congo (Maniema Province)
In Albania (Tirana)
- Improving the diagnostic methods for tuberculosis (TB) by rehabilitating 7 hospitals and 12 TB dispensaries.
- Constructing a health clinic for the internally displaced population in order to provide them with improved sanitation.
- Preventing and treating the top five causes of death and debilitating conditions.
- Helping the local Ministry of Health to rehabilitate and support 2 hospitals and 42 health centres.
- Providing basic health care for displaced people in Guara Guara camp, Sofala Province
- Providing drugs and basic equipment to 11 Primary Health Care Centres in Sofala Province.
- Co-ordinating a task force of agencies to combat insect-borne diseases, such as malaria and dengue fever, throughout East Timor, where conflict has left many health services in ruins.
- Training local health staff to boost their capacity to prevent, diagnose and treat disease, particularly malaria.
At a glance
- Primary health care provides basic health care to all community members
- It includes prevention & treatment of poor health and promotion of good health practices
- Merlin works in partnership with Ministry of Health staff & fellow aid agencies
- We support existing health services through health education, vaccination, treatment and the provision of essential supplies
Primary health care is a broad term for basic health care at community level.
Merlin is Medical Emergency Relief International,
the UK's leading medical specialist in international aid. http://www.merlin.org.uk
14 David Mews, Porter Street, London W1M 1HW
Tel: 0171 487 2505 Fax: 0171 487 4042
Registered Charity number 1016607
- Providing nutritional feeding to over 450 severely malnourished and 1,400 moderately malnourished children in hospitals in Kenema and Blama.
- Running an 80-bed temporary children's hospital for emergency treatment and nutritional feeding in Freetown.
- Re-establishing and restocking one hospital and 32 health centres in Kenema and Bo districts in eastern Sierra Leone to care for 300,000 people, particularly mothers and young children.
- Running 4 mobile teams to provide basic health care and re-establishing 3 clinics in Freetown which were destroyed by …