- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
HelpAge International and 55 of its global network members and partners across Africa are urging African leaders to speed up the ratification of a key protocol on older people's rights when they meet at the African Union in Addis Ababa this week.
The organisations have urged heads of government to follow up the agreement of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights on the Rights of Older Persons with the development of plans and strategies to implement the protocol at all levels of African society.
Once again, Sierra Leoneans mourn mass deaths of what is estimated to be 1000 deaths due to mudslides that happened slightly about two weeks ago. Coming shortly after the Ebola Virus Disease epidemic that hit the country along with Guinnea and Liberia in 2014 and affected over 14, 000 by January 2016, what lessons can the country draw from her Ebola crisis recovery efforts?
Intergenerational HelpAge programme restores livelihoods and builds community cohesion in post-Ebola Sierra Leone
By Ben Small
Older people in Sierra Leone are rebuilding their livelihoods and experiencing greater levels of dignity and respect in their communities in the wake of the Ebola outbreak, thanks to a HelpAge International programme that has brought older and younger generations together.