- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
New research commissioned by AusAID highlights the urgent need for increased action to prevent sexual violence during conflict and after crises. Hundreds of thousands of women are affected by sexual violence during conflict, and many more are at risk.
School meals from the UN World Food Programme (WFP) feed more than 11 million children in Africa each year. One of those children is a teenager called Molly Achieng, a 13-year-old schoolgirl from the slums of Nairobi, Kenya.
As part of a $100 million commitment from 2009–10 to 2012–13, Australia has provided $60 million to the Global Agriculture and Food Security Program, managed by the World Bank (external website).
MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS
AA 09/10 26 January 2010
Yesterday and today I conducted the first visit to South Africa by an Australian Foreign Minister in more than seven years.
Today I met my South African counterpart Foreign Minister Nkoana-Mashabane.
Australia will increase its support for efforts to bring to justice those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity in the African nation of Sierra Leone.
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs Greg Hunt has announced that a further $100,000 will be provided to the Special Court for Sierra Leone.
Mr Hunt said this would double Australia's contribution to $200,000 this year and bring our total support since 2001 to $800,000.