- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
“The Ebola virus is an unparalleled challenge to the social fabric and wellbeing of affected countries. It is a medical calamity which is taking an enormous toll at the personal and national level.”
Commonwealth Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma made the remarks in a briefing to High Commissioners in London this week, after speaking again to Sierra Leone’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hon Dr Kamura Samara, about appropriate Commonwealth support.
In 2002, children were fighting in 37 of the world's 55 ongoing or recently concluded conflicts and they numbered around 300,000
One of the most significant rulings from the Special Court for Sierra Leone was on the recruitment of child soldiers.
The Court had to rule on a motion by the accused, Sam Hinga Norman (founder and leader of the Civil Defence Forces (CDF) in Sierra Leone), who argued that the Court did not have jurisdiction to try him for recruiting child soldiers.
Mr Norman's defence team argued that the crime was not part of customary international law.