- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Baltimore, May 1, 2003 -- While peace is progressing in Sierra Leone, Liberia is experiencing a resurgence of violence. Since 1991, the West Africa republic of Sierra Leone has experienced one of Africa's most brutal civil wars. More than 150,000 people have died as a result of the conflict, 1.5 million have had to flee their homes, and an estimated 500,000 people have become refugees.
Baltimore, February 28, 2002 -- Lutheran World Relief is deeply concerned about the safety of refugees and the displaced, especially women and children in West Africa who are the subject of a report this week by United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and Save the Children UK. We are working with partner organizations in the region to determine the facts behind the allegations of abuse, allegations that include aid workers and peace-keeping soldiers.
Baltimore, September 27, 2000 -- Lutheran World Relief is seeking citizen support for two specific changes in U.S. foreign policy - banning landmines and blocking diamonds that have been sold to finance wars. Interested parties are being urged to contact Congress and the President. LWR's website currently provides background information and action steps on both issues.