- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Plan Sierra Leone was first established in 1976 in Makeni, Bombali district. Within a period of 20 years Plan was managing a caseload of about 29,500 sponsored children in Bombali district, Moyamba district, Rural and Urban Western Area. By 1997, the civil conflict in Sierra Leone had spread to every district of the country with the rebel forces controlling almost 85% of the countryside. That same year, rebels invaded the capital city Freetown for the first time and took the powers of governance of the state onto themselves.
We were just notified of another rebel attack in Gueckedou, Guinea. Unfortunately, it was just a month ago that we brought you similar news. Our report of October 26 informed you of rebel activity in the area of Macenta. In the October unrest, some homes were burned which included the homes of two sponsored families. PLAN International has already made provisions for those families to repair/rebuild their homes.
1. The Security Situation
Trauma can be Eased through Intervention, Childreach Study Shows