- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
The recent trends in the West African sub-region display various contradictions. On the one hand, certain political and economic developments give reason for optimism. On the other hand, new and very serious threats have emerged over the last years which – if not addressed adequately – could undercut gains made and erode stability and security in the whole region. On the positive side, economic growth rates have been promising, and elections have become well established as the only legitimate way of changing the government.
KAIPTC MONOGRAPH No. 6
Using Sierra Leone as a case study, this paper examines the role of peace support operations (PSOs) and electoral assistance in post-conflict elections, and how they contribute to peace implementation and the restoration of democracy. In this paper, the role of PSOs and electoral assistance is seen as essential for the conduct of free, fair and transparent elections in post-conflict states.