- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
BBC Media Action has worked in Sierra Leone since 2007, using multiple platforms including radio, mobile, social media and interpersonal communication to address three key themes: governance and rights, health, and resilience and humanitarian response.
BBC Media Action’s ‘Pathways to Learning’ project in the Eastern region of Sierra Leone aimed to improve farmers’ skills and knowledge about cocoa farming. Evaluation work in 2015 shows how farmers and local experts feel the project has helped to develop these.
BBC Media Action and the BBC have responded to 28 emergencies since 1994. This research report, based on evaluations of four recent crises interventions, assesses the effectiveness of mass media interventions in enabling people to survive and recover when disaster strikes.
Authors: Theodora Hannides
A couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night, phones started ringing across Sierra Leone. Despite the late hour, people were calling to pass on the latest rumour about Ebola – that bathing in salty hot water could protect you. By the next day, the rumour had swept across the whole country.