- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Thousands of people have been affected by a devastating mudslide and torrential rains in the country's capital Freetown.
Several areas are facing extreme flooding and mudslides. So far, over 400 bodies have been recovered, with the death-toll expected to rise in coming days.
With funding from the UK’s Department for International Development, UNOPS distributes 1,000 solar lanterns to Sierra Leone’s Office of National Security
“While the immensity of the disaster is far-reaching, these solar lanterns will help many of the families and communities affected by last week’s floods and landslides, while crucially aiding in the search and rescue efforts,” said Nick Gardner, UNOPS Country Manager.
The solar lanterns provide a reliable source of light for 13 hours after charging and can also charge a mobile phone.
UNOPS projects providing logistical and infrastructure support to affected countries.
UNOPS and the Governments of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, with funding from the World Bank, have moved to establish an operational platform to support the rapid deployment of hundreds of international responders in the region.
In close coordination with UNMEER and the World Health Organization (WHO), this project will provide a broad range of assistance to those responding to the Ebola crisis, including contracts, remuneration, transportation and accommodation.