- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
The Pearson Centre is supporting a long-time partner, the Sierra Leone Police (SLP), in reviewing its Policy for Peacekeeping Operations from a gender perspective.
The policy review, which will be launched with a workshop in Freetown in the first week of October 2012, is an opportunity for the SLP to examine emerging issues and challenges in the management of peacekeeping deployments, while focusing on gender and the specific needs of its female peacekeepers.
From May 26 to 28, 2010, the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre delivered several modules of its Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) course at the School of Peacekeeping in Bamako (EMP).
The goal was to familiarize participants with DDR techniques and to form a pool of qualified staff capable of performing DDR tasks, namely:
- Understand the nature of conflict and peacebuilding;
- Integrate the context IDDRS (Integrated-Disarmament, Demobilization, Reintegration-and-Standard-) in a UN peacebuilding process;
- Learn the key elements of a DDR program;
- Learn …
OTTAWA (Ontario, Canada) (7 août 2009) - Le Centre Pearson pour le maintien de la paix (CPMP) a contribué à l'avancement de la Résolution 1820 du Conseil de sécurité des Nations Unies, qui vise à prévenir la violence sexuelle en zone de conflit, en invitant des agentes de la police des Nations Unies (UNPOL) à assister au débat ouvert du Conseil de sécurité, à New York, au sujet de cette résolution.
Dans le cadre de cette importante initiative, trois agentes de l'UNPOL oeuvrant en Afrique et en Amérique ont pu exprimer leurs idées et parler de leur expérience devant les …
OTTAWA (Ontario, Canada) (August 7, 2009) - The Pearson Peacekeeping Centre (PPC) is advancing United Nations Security Council Resolution 1820 (UN SCR 1820), which addresses the prevention of sexual violence in conflict zones, by bringing United Nations Police (UNPOL) officers to the Security Council open-debate on UN SCR 1820 in New York.
This is an important initiative as it allowed three female UNPOL officers currently serving in Africa and the Americas to have their voices and experiences heard by decision makers. This serves to heighten the awareness of the challenges and …