- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
- Over 85 500 personnel were deployed to 16 operations in Africa in 2009.
- Almost one-third of all operations worldwide and two-fifths of all personnel were located in Africa in 2009.
- Over 90 per cent of peacekeepers in Africa were deployed to 9 UN operations.
- Nearly three-quarters of all UN peacekeepers were deployed in Africa.
- For the first time since 2003, Africa was not the region to which most peace operation personnel were deployed.
- Personnel deployments in Africa were about 15 800 short of the authorized levels in 2009.
- Six of the 10 …
SIPRI Fact Sheet July 2009
- Close to 79 000 personnel were deployed in 19 operations in Africa in 2008.
- Personnel numbers in Africa in 2008 had increased by 14 % over the 2007 level and 400 % over the 1999 level.
- Almost a third of all operations worldwide and 42 % of all personnel were located in Africa in 2008.
- Operations were active in 13 African countries in 2008.
- The UN sent 70% of all peace operation personnel it deployed worldwide in 2008 to Africa.
- Personnel deployments in Africa were 21 % short of the authorized levels in 2008.
- Five …
(Stockholm, 12 May 2009) - Air cargo companies involved in illicit or destabilizing arms transfers to African conflict zones have also been repeatedly contracted to deliver humanitarian aid and support peacekeeping operations, according to a report released today by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
The report reveals that 90 per cent of the air cargo companies identified in arms trafficking-related reports have also been used by major UN agencies, EU and NATO member states, …
Highlights from the SIPRI YEARBOOK 2002
Security and conflicts
The 15 most deadly conflicts in 2001-those that killed over 100 people-were all intra-state conflicts, but all of them were directly affected by external actors and 11 of them spilled over international borders. 11 of the conflicts have lasted for eight or more years.
51 multilateral peace operations were operational during 2001.
There were no new UN peace missions in 2001 for the first time since 1996.
REMINDER: A press conference will be held at Hotel Eggers, Drottningtorget, in Gothenburg on Wednesday, 13 June 2001, at 15:00.
EMBARGO: Not for release until 13 June 2001, 1500 CET