- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Ebola continues to spread across West Africa. So far 7 400 people have been infected by the virus and 3 431 reported dead. Sweden responds to the crisis by increasing its support for the fight against Ebola with 105 million Swedish kronor (USD 15 million), in addition to over 139 million (USD 20 million) already allocated funds. Sida focuses a large part of the support to Liberia where the population is worst affected.
The new support through Sida is allocated to UN bodies (SEK 80 million) and the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) (SEK 25 million).
Answering the UN's annual appeals for different
countries and regions, Sida has decided to allocate EUR 36.7 million to
alleviate crises in about 20 countries.
A positive change since last year is that Sudan, Angola and the Democratic Republic of Congo have all initiated peace processes, even though the humanitarian situation remains very serious. Apart from armed conflict, HIV/AIDS represents the biggest threat to development.
Sida has just decided to allocate nearly EUR 49,1 million for disaster measures in reply to the United Nation's annual requests for aid regarding different countries and regions.