- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Most read reports
- Africa: Ebola Coordination and Preparedness DREF n° MDR60002 Emergency Plan of Action Final Report
- Measles outbreak confirmed in remote Falaba district
- New Ebola virus strain found in Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leone: Mudslide - Emergency Plan of Action Operation n°2 (MDRSL007) Six months Update
- Sierra Leone mudslide survivors live in fear of fresh disaster
BEIJING, Nov 07, 2009 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- For children living in peace, war is the stuff of fast-paced action movies or high-adrenaline computer games. Yet today, an astounding figure released by UNICEF shows that more than 250,000 children are fighting in wars and armed conflicts worldwide and witnessing atrocities.
From the "little bees" of Colombia to the "baby brigades" of Sri Lanka, boys and girls, some as young as six, have been transformed into small but highly efficient killing machines.
But what happens to child soldiers when the guns fall silent?
LONDON, March 10 (Reuters) - Devastating conflicts in Congo, Uganda and Sudan are the world's three biggest "forgotten emergencies,'' attracting little media interest despite massive suffering, a Reuters poll of experts showed on Thursday.
The plight of children in conflict zones remained grave and entirely unacceptable, despite the recent achievement of strong standards for their protection, Olara Otunnu, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict (CAAC), said this afternoon as he briefed correspondents at Headquarters today on the report he had presented to the General Assembly's Third Committee (Social, Humanitarian and Cultural) yesterday.
Kris Janowski - Media Relations
Preparatory Committee for the
Special Session of the General Assembly
On the Children’s World Summit
3rd Meeting (AM)
Children and armed conflict and the commercial sexual exploitation of children were the focus of two panel discussions held this morning by the Preparatory Committee for the special session of the General Assembly for follow-up to the 1990 World Summit for Children, as it continued its third substantive session.