- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
Most read reports
- Sierra Leone: Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Outbreak - Emergency Plan of Action Final Report (MDRSL005)
- With disaster risk on the rise, Sierra Leone partners with PDC on advanced DRR strategies
- New Ebola virus strain found in Sierra Leone
- Africa: Ebola Coordination and Preparedness DREF n° MDR60002 Emergency Plan of Action Final Report
- Sierra Leone - Mudslide Report: 6 Months On
The Security Council would hold 15 open meetings this month — including debates on the situations in Afghanistan, Haiti and Kosovo — the Russian Federation’s top United Nations delegate said today, as he briefed the press at Headquarters on the work programme as his country assumed the Council’s rotating presidency.
“We are focused on concrete and urgent topics of the current international agenda,” Vitaly Churkin said, adding that the Council would also hold 17 closed consultations.
Laying out the programme of work of the Security Council in May, under the first presidency of Azerbaijan, the country’s Permanent Representative this afternoon vowed to work to maintain unity among members for addressing the conflict in Syria and the many other complex situations the body was seized with.
“As President, I will do my best to keep unanimity and consensus approach to that kind of sensitive issue,” Agshin Mehdiyev told correspondents at Headquarters, saying that the presidency ushered in an “historic period” for his country.
Challenges and opportunities in North Africa and the Middle East and the situations in Somalia, Haiti and Afghanistan would be highlighted at the Security Council in March, the permanent representative of the United Kingdom, which holds the body’s rotating presidency for the month, told correspondents this afternoon.
While remaining seized of ongoing situations of concern in Libya, Syria, Sudan, South Sudan and elsewhere, the Security Council planned to focus on preventive diplomacy when world leaders arrived for the opening of the upcoming General Assembly session, Nawaf Salam ( Lebanon), Council President for September, said at Headquarters today.
1. The present eighth report on the protection of civilians in armed conflict is submitted pursuant to Security Council resolution 1894 (2009).
2. The adoption of resolution 1894 (2009) on 11 November 2009 was a fitting commemoration of 10 years of thematic action by the Security Council on the protection of civilians and a welcome manifestation of the ongoing commitment of the Council to that critical issue.
Conseil de sécurité
6233rd Meeting* (AM & PM)
Illicit Trade Enriching Terrorists, Anti-Government Forces, Chief of United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Warns in Briefing
Concerned about the serious threat posed by drug trafficking to global security, particularly in Africa, the Security Council today called on the international community to strengthen its cooperation with the United Nations and regional organizations in fighting the scourge.
6216th Meeting (AM & PM)
Expressing deep regret that civilians continued to account for the vast majority of casualties in armed conflicts, the Security Council reaffirmed today its readiness to respond to the targeting of civilians and the blocking of humanitarian aid, as it opened a day-long debate on the matter.
Conseil de sécurité
6196e séance – matin & après-midi
Dans une nouvelle résolution, il demande que les ressources nécessaires soient allouées à la réponse aux besoins des femmes et des filles dans les situations postconflit
Le Conseil de sécurité a adopté, aujourd'hui, à l'unanimité de ses 15 membres une nouvelle résolution sur les femmes, la paix et la sécurité. Ce texte vient renforcer le volet participation de la résolution 1325 (2000), dont l'ONU célébrera le dixième anniversaire l'année prochaine.
Conseil de sécurité
6180e séance – matin & après-midi
M. Ban Ki-moon propose la création d'une commission d'enquête sur les exactions commises en RDC, au Soudan et au Tchad
Une quarantaine de délégations, parmi lesquelles les 15 membres du Conseil de sécurité, ont réaffirmé aujourd'hui, au cours d'un débat public, leur volonté commune d'intensifier la lutte contre les violences sexuelles, perpétrées pendant et après les conflits armés, en renforçant les mécanismes existants et en envisageant la création de nouveaux dispositifs.