- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
When twenty- two-year-old Fatmata Sawyer was asked to identify potential hazards affecting her small village of under 300 residents, she took the microphone and boldly mentioned flash floods, thunderbolts, wildfires, teenage pregnancy and environmental degradation.
Fatmata is among 6 female participants in a three-day training workshop on Disaster Risk Management from M’bokie village, Sittia chiefdom- Bonthe District south of Sierra Leone. Sittia is predominantly a fishing community along the coastlines of Sierra Leone.
Summary: CHF 167,769 was allocated from the IFRC’s Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) on 15 January 2013 to support the National Society in delivering assistance to some 2,253 beneficiaries in four locations/districts affected by the fire disaster.
The initial objective of Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) intervention was to support the impoverished fire disaster victims in Bo, Pujehun, Bonthe and Moyamba districts who were left languishing in neighbouring villages as a result of the disaster.
Period covered by this update: 16 January to 9 February, 2013.
Summary: CHF 167,769 was allocated from the IFRC’s Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) on 15 January, 2013 to support Sierra Leone Red Cross Society (SLRCS) in delivering assistance to 2,253 beneficiaries. Unearmarked funds to repay DREF are encouraged.