- Sierra Leone: Mudslides - Aug 2017
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2015
- West Africa: Ebola Outbreak - Mar 2014
- Sierra Leone: Wild Fires - Jan 2013
- Sierra Leone/Guinea: Cholera Outbreak - Feb 2012
- West/Central Africa: Floods - Jun 2010
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods and Landslides - Aug 2009
- Sierra Leone: Floods - Sep 2007
- West Africa: Floods - Jul 2007
When twenty- two-year-old Fatmata Sawyer was asked to identify potential hazards affecting her small village of under 300 residents, she took the microphone and boldly mentioned flash floods, thunderbolts, wildfires, teenage pregnancy and environmental degradation.
Fatmata is among 6 female participants in a three-day training workshop on Disaster Risk Management from M’bokie village, Sittia chiefdom- Bonthe District south of Sierra Leone. Sittia is predominantly a fishing community along the coastlines of Sierra Leone.
Natural disasters claimed more than 50,000 lives and resulted in economic losses exceeding $90 billion during 1998; while wars in Africa, Asia and Europe displaced millions more. This horrifying toll will set the scene for the Economic and Social Council's debate, when it begins its segment on humanitarian affairs on 13 July.