Appeals & Response Plans
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2018
- Sudan: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2016
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2014
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Nov 2013
- Sudan: Flash Floods - Aug 2013
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2012
Most read reports
- Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 15 | 6 – 19 August 2018
- Sudan: Nutrition Response Update: South Sudanese Refugee Response (September 2018)
- Sudan: Population Dashboards - Refugees from South Sudan (as of 31 August 2018)
- Sudan: Population & Operational Update: South Sudanese Refugee Response (1-31 August 2018)
- Darfur rebels declare three-month ceasefire to rescue landslides victims in Jebel Marra
8357TH MEETING (AM)
Speakers in the Security Council today said a relatively stable security situation in Abyei makes it time to consider adjustments to the United Nations peacekeeping force there. Many stressed, however, that changes to its composition and mission must be preceded by thorough consultations with Khartoum and Juba.
Human Rights Council
10–28 September 2018
Agenda item 10
Technical assistance and capacity-building
Note by the Secretariat
The Secretariat has the honour to transmit to the Human Rights Council the report of the Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in the Sudan, Aristide Nononsi, submitted pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 36/26.
The Government of Sweden has announced yesterday its support to United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Community Security and Stabilization Programme (C2SP) operating in five states in Sudan, with a total fund of 5 million USD.
This announcement took place yesterday during a meeting with H.E. Ambassador to Sweden Mr. Hans Henric Lundquist and First Secretary Ms. Anna Saleem Hogberg who have met with UNDP Country Director Dr. Selva Ramachandran.
- In August, UNHCR provided 14,800 emergency kits to internally displaced Ethiopians in South Ethiopia. UNHCR has procured a total of 50,000 emergency kits with funding from CERF (UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund).
- Ethiopian Government held consultations on the new National Comprehensive Refugee Response Strategy (NCRRS) which consolidates Ethiopia’s commitment to improve the lives of both refugees and host communities.
Director-General of the UN Office in Geneva,
Colleagues and friends,
It is an honour to be called to this mandate, to assist States to uphold the human rights of their people, in this year in which we celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
September 7, 2018 (KHARTOUM) - The United Nations special envoy to Libya Ghassan Salameh has called on the UN Security Council (UNSC) to seek to implement the border agreement signed between Sudan, Libya and Chad.
More than 60 people have been killed and 159 injured in renewed fighting among militias in Tripoli last month. On 4 September, UN mission brokered a ceasefire between the major parties to the conflict.
I would like to congratulate the United States of America on its presidency of the Council this month and thank you for this opportunity to update the Council.
Mr President, Members of the Council
In each and every briefing I have given to this Council, I have stated that the status quo in Libya is untenable.
The violence that consumed the Capital beginning 26 August shattered the façade of calm that had prevailed in Tripoli since May 2017.
A delegation of South Sudanese refugees tells the country’s leaders what they expect from revived peace talks in Sudan.
By Yvonne Ndege | 05 September 2018
KHARTOUM, Sudan – Driven from his land by conflict in South Sudan, farmer Singira Mirihewari traveled for 18 hours to tell leaders negotiating peace in Sudan what millions of refugees like him need.
To Permanent Representatives of Member and Observer States of the UN Human Rights Council Geneva, Switzerland
Ref: AFR 54/9034/2018
4 September 2018
RE: ADDRESSING THE SERIOUS HUMAN RIGHTS AND HUMANITARIAN SITUATION IN SUDAN
The US has the presidency in September. At press time, the intention appears to be to hold all Council meetings in public, with consultations only scheduled for the adoption of the programme of work for the month. Although no meetings are currently foreseen for the last week of September, the US could still choose the presence of the world’s top officials in New York to schedule a high-level meeting in the Council.
UNAMID Joint Special Representative (JSR), Jeremiah Mamabolo, has concluded a two-day visit to South Darfur, during which he met leaders at the state and local levels and discussed access challenges affecting the Mission’s operations in parts of East Jebel Marra.
During the visit, Mr. Mamabolo and his delegation met the Deputy Wali of South Darfur, Mr. Taha Abdallah Hamid, the Commissioner of Mershing Locality, Dr. Al Sadig Mohamed Khamis and the State Security Committee.
• Heavy rainfall in July has resulted in major flooding in West Kordofan and Kassala states, impacting over 7,000 household. The Government of Sudan, civil society, UNICEF and humanitarian partners have quickly scaled up the response to the emerging needs providing critical services including WASH, health, nutrition, and education.
• UNICEF and partners provided emergency Child Protection, Education, Health & Nutrition and WASH support to over 1,000 newly displaced people in Golo and Nertiti (Central and West Jebel Marra, Darfur).
The monthly risk briefing provides information on global weather, volcanic, human and health events where members may consider using the Start Fund’s Crisis Anticipation Window. It reports on new, emerging or deteriorating situations; therefore, ongoing events that are considered to be unchanged are not featured and risks that are beyond the scope and scale of the Start Fund are also not featured.
August 18, 2018 (KHARTOUM) - The government negotiating team for the Two Areas talks with the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N) said the next round of talks must be held according to the agreed references.
The semi-official Sudan Media Center (SMC) has quoted the member of negotiating team Abdel-Rahman Abu Median as saying the government wouldn’t accept pre or new conditions from any party.