Appeals & Response Plans
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2018
- Sudan: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2016
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2014
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Nov 2013
- Sudan: Flash Floods - Aug 2013
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2012
Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (S/2018/912) [EN/AR]
- African Union mediator to consult Sudanese opposition over peace roadmap
- Chikungunya fever spreading in Sudan’s Nile basin
- Sudan: East Darfur Population Dashboard - Refugees from South Sudan (as of 30 Sep 2018)
- Health Ministry declares chikunguya outbreak in Kassala
Background on the humanitarian situation
Despite years of conflict and humanitarian emergencies, Sudan is stepping up its response to HIV. Across Sudan there are an estimated 69 000 people living with HIV and HIV prevalence is at 0.4%. Estimates also show that only 10% of the estimated number of people in need of antiretroviral treatment are receiving it.
Overview and background
Leadership of the Security Council
The Security Council has played a leading role in raising global awareness of the links between AIDS and security. Through landmark resolutions 1308 in 2000 and 1983 in 2011, the Security Council has galvanized global action to integrate HIV responses in uniformed services. In this regard, the UN has led by example, addressing HIV as an integral component of its own peacekeeping missions in diverse settings.
Somalis unite with Horn of Africa partners to address HIV/AIDS
Hargeisa - (Monday 13 November 2006) - "Due to the high level of mobility in the Horn of Africa, important population groups consistently remain outside the reach of national efforts to address HIV/AIDS.