Appeals & Response Plans
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2018
- Sudan: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - Jul 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2017
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2016
- Sudan/South Sudan: Measles Outbreak - Mar 2015
- Sudan: Floods - Jul 2014
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Nov 2013
- Sudan: Flash Floods - Aug 2013
- Sudan: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Oct 2012
- Sudan: Floods - Jun 2012
Most read reports
- Sudan: Humanitarian Funds come together to help people support themselves
- 'More than 200 people' died in South Darfur camp
- Sudan kicks off November subnational polio immunization campaign to vaccinate 4.5 million children [EN/AR]
- UNAMID inaugurates five community stabilization projects in Mournei, West Darfur
- Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 17 | 24 September – 7 October 2018 [EN/AR]
Policy Brief 4 2009
Jon Harald Sand Lie and Benjamin de Carvalho
Ever since the concept of the Protection of Civilians (PoC) was coined by then UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in an attempt to place civilians in armed conflict at the core of UN peacekeeping, there have been diverging interpretations of the meaning of the concept and its intended application. Simply put, PoC has meant different things in theory at UN headquarters and practice in the field.
[Abstract] Militias and other armed groups embody a special dimension in warfare that transcends the classic inter-state and intra-state (government/guerrilla movement) disputes of the past. These militarised entities are prone to pursue conflict first and foremost in terms of local interests, which make them notoriously difficult to manage in the context of post-conflict transitions to peace, and as a consequent pose particular challenges for DDR programmes.
The report analyses the international engagement in Sudan since the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) in relation to the Principles for Good International Engagement in Fragile States and Situations, which the OECD/DAC is currently developing. The report concludes that donor coordination has been quite advanced in Sudan, with a number of innovative mechanisms tried out. Furthermore, there has been a concerted effort towards contributing to the building of the South Sudan state.