Democratic People's Republic of KoreaOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
Most read reports
- DPR Korea Needs and Priorities March 2018
- Pervasive, Punitive, and Predetermined: Understanding Modern Slavery in North Korea
- DPR Korea: Floods and landslides Emergency Plan of Action (EPoA) DREF n° MDRKP012
- Asia and the Pacific: Weekly Regional Humanitarian Snapshot (28 August - 3 September 2018)
- DPRK: Deadly heatwave threatening lives of children and elderly
Famine in North Korea led to the deaths of over 600,000 people in the late 1990s, with others putting the number of dead as high as 3.5 million.
The crisis led North Korea to issue an unprecedented request to the international community for humanitarian assistance. Aid providers were caught in a dilemma, with a strong desire to provide assistance to those in desperate need, while ensuring that aid did not prop up a regime that was causing the suffering in the first place.
Abby Stoddard and Katherine Haver
Center on International Cooperation, New York University