Appeals & Response Plans
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- UNHCR supports Pakistan, Afghanistan to secure sustainable solutions for Afghan refugees
- Pakistan: Afghan Refugees Registration Update (January - August 2017)
- Pakistan: Refugee Affected and Hosting Areas RAHA | 2009 - 2017
- Pakistan on the brink of winning the war against polio
- Japan provides additional funds to support Pakistan regional polio laboratory
Polio this week as of 20 March 2018
New on www.polioeradication.org: In Nigeria, experts from the frontline of polio eradication are supporting the Lassa fever response. Meanwhile, we asked what it takes to vaccinate every child in Afghanistan.
2,940 Estimated number of UAC currently in Greece
Out of the total:
4,7% <14 years old
The population estimation excludes separated children.
1,118 Total number of places in UAC shelters
2,082 in the waiting list for shelter, out of which:
140 in RICs
89 in Protective custody
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.
Acute food insecurity global estimates in 2017
• Around 124 million people in 51 countries face Crisis food insecurity or worse (equivalent of IPC/CH Phase 3 or above). They require urgent humanitarian action to save lives, protect livelihoods, and reduce hunger and malnutrition.
FACTS & FIGURES
479 000 displaced people since January 2017 (OCHA, as of January 2018)
2.35 million Afghan refugees living in Iran and Pakistan (UNHCR)
2.7 million undocumented Afghans living in Iran and Pakistan
EU humanitarian aid: €775 million since 1994
The GenCap Project, established in 2007 under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee, in partnership with the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), aims to strengthen the capacity of humanitarians to undertake gender equality programming in humanitarian action. The IASC Gender Marker is the key tool used by the humanitarian community to assess how gender is incorporated in humanitarian projects.
789 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
16,375 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran
5,291 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2018
133,946 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2018
92% of returnees from Pakistan (728 individuals) assisted
5% of returnees from Iran (874 individuals) assisted
98 Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC) from Iran among those assisted, 1 from Pakistan
57 Medical Cases (MC) from Iran among those assisted, 0 from Pakistan
Bird flu continued to be the main challenge for the west region in February 2018. Initially in January, bird flu was found in 4 farms, but the disease has now spread to several hundred poultry farms. As a result 460,000 chicken were disposed from affected farms.
Islamabad, 19 March 2018 – Having achieved the lowest ever case count of 8 in 2017, Pakistan is on right trajectory to finish the job in 2018 by maintaining intense pressure of the crippling Polio virus. This was concluded by the National Polio Management Team (NPMT) that met in Islamabad today to review the progress on National Emergency Action Plan (NEAP) and chalk out strategic direction for the low transmission season 2018/19.
Countrywide Conflict Displacement
According to OCHA’s Displacement Tracking System (DTS), 34,381 people have been displaced by conflict since the beginning of the year in 25 out of 34 provinces. The highest number of displaced families are in Kunduz Province with 13,615 IDPs, followed by neighbouring Takhar with 5,383 IDPs.
During another harsh winter in eastern Afghanistan over the past five months, CWS Japan provided cash assistance to help families returning from Pakistan after years in exile to meet basic needs, including interventions to help prevent often-deadly acute respiratory illness among children. Since most families are living in extreme conditions without full shelter or heat, young children face multiple health risks, but ARIs are the deadliest.
An outbreak of measles and malnutrition claimed the lives of five children in the capital of Sindh's Tharparkar district, hospital sources and relatives said on Saturday.
With the deaths of the five children at Mithi Civil Hospital in the last 24 hours, the toll of children's deaths in Thar has risen to 123 this year, according to credible sources.
In January, 41,387 eligible refugees and asylum-seekers (19,154 households) received cash assistance in Greece, in 95 locations.
Polio this week as of 13 March 2018 New on www.polioeradication.org: For International Women’s Day, we highlighted the critical role that women play in global polio eradication efforts. Dr Adele Daleke Lisi Aluma works to reach children who have never been vaccinated, whilst in Somalia, women are the face of polio eradication. In Nigeria, dedicated female mobilizers are ending polio, one home at a time.
We also launched the Gender and Polio section of our website.
2. Background & Rationale
After unprecedented levels of displacement were observed in Afghanistan in 2016, the situation remained unstable in 2017.
Since January, approximately 286,000 undocumented Afghans have returned from Pakistan and Iran (IOM, 2017) and an estimated 202,109 people have been displaced internally by conflict (OCHA, 2017).
623 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
14,644 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran
4,502 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2018
117,571 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2018
90% of returnees from Pakistan (560 individuals) assisted
4% of returnees from Iran (655 individuals) assisted
155 Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC) from Iran among those assisted, 2 from Pakistan 71 Medical Cases (MC) from Iran among those assisted, 0 from Pakistan