- ADB: Climate Change Profile of Pakistan, 24 Aug 2017
- WFP Pakistan Country Brief, July 2017
- UNICEF Pakistan: Humanitarian Situation Report, 1 January – 30 June 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017 - South Asia
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
• Conflict displaces nearly 270,000 Afghans from January–September 2017
• Deteriorating security conditions hinder access to displaced populations in hard-to-reach areas
• Armed groups target health care workers and facilities
GoP program assists more than 262,600 displaced households to return to FATA
Seasonal monsoon rains and flooding in August result in more than 160 deaths countrywide
USAID provides nearly $9.4 million in additional multi-sector humanitarian assistance
2,950 Estimated number of UAC currently in Greece based on analysis from referrals to EKKA (as of 15 October 2017)
1,114 Total number of places available in UAC shelters (filled, pending assigned cases as of 15 October, including 20 vacant places)
1,822 Total number of UAC on waiting list for shelter (as of 15 October 2017) including:
1,106 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
13,189 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran
89,944 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2017
301,196 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2017
91% of returnees from Pakistan (1,009 individuals) assisted
6% of returnees from Iran (799 individuals) assisted
UNHCR in 2017 – by the numbers
As of September 2017, UNHCR’s budget is at an historic high of $7.763 billion, which is currently 46% funded
This growth is concurrent with the unabated levels of global displacement, with 67.7 million people of concern to UNHCR worldwide.
The funding gap is widening, now standing at 54%. Based on indications received from donors and analysis of funding trends, UNHCR estimates the gap may reduce to 47% by year’s end.
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
Countrywide Conflict Displacement
As of 15 October, a total of 286,918 people were displaced due to conflict in Afghanistan. This is up by more than 20,000 people compared to the previous week. The provinces sheltering the highest numbers of IDPs are Nangarhar (34,872), Kunduz (28,427), Badghis (24,625) and Baghlan (18,788).
Following a series of attacks leaving seven staff members of ICRC dead, the organization reduces its footprint in Afghanistan after three decades of continuous presence.
Displacement in Afghanistan surpasses a quarter of a million people from January to September.
Polio vaccinators were unable to reach more than 130,000 girls and boys due to conflict and lack of humanitarian access.
This document provides an overview of responses to the Global Shelter Cluster (GSC) online survey, conducted in preparation for the annual GSC Meeting. Findings are based on a total of 106 responses, as of 26 September 2017.
Countrywide Conflict Displacement
From 1 January to 8 October 2017, 266,689 people fled their homes due to conflict in Afghanistan, up by 2,600 people from the previous week. The province sheltering the highest number of displaced people is Kunduz (29,759), followed by Nangarhar (27,959), Badghis (22,635) and Baghlan (18,788).
1,138 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan
8,708 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran
88,838 total returns from Pakistan since 01 Jan 2017
288,007 total returns from Iran since 01 Jan 2017
89% of returnees from Pakistan (1,010 individuals) assisted
13% of returnees from Iran (1,164 individuals) assisted
Highlights and Statistics
- UNHCR and partners observed a continued rise of new arrivals, when they assisted 272 new asylum-seekers (compared to 188 last week), mostly Yasidi or Kurdish families from Iraq (below chart refers).
- On 08 October, 4,361 new refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants were counted in Serbia, of which 3,888 were housed in 18 governmental centres (please see also the Joint Assessment of Government Centres).
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Overview of UNHCR’s operations in Asia and the Pacific
A. Situational context including new developments
HIGHLIGHTS AND STATISTICS
■ In yet another tragic incident, on 26 September, in a village near Kikinda, the police found the body of a young foreign man. It appears as if he planned to irregularly cross into Romania but died from a heart attack.
■ UNHCR and partners continued supporting authorities in protection monitoring, identification and addressing of specific needs, referrals, interpretation, non-food aid, information and counselling, sometimes 24/7 at 23 sites around the country.