- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read reports
- Pakistan: Surge in Militant Attacks on Schools
- Pakistan: Voluntary Repatriation Weekly Update (As of 10th August 2018)
- Asia and the Pacific: Weekly Regional Humanitarian Snapshot (7 - 14 August 2018)
- Pakistan: Operational Presence in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Who, What, Where, When (4W matrix) Jan to Jun 2018
- More dengue cases surface
• In June 2018, the price of wheat increased by 2.4% while wheat flour decreased by 1.1% over May 2018; the price of rice Irri-6 increased by 1.3% while the price of rice Basmati decreased by 0.6% in June 2018 when compared to the previous month;
• Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased in June 2018 by 0.57% over May 2018 and increased by 5.21% over June 2017;
What is FFA?
The most food-insecure people often live in fragile and degraded landscapes and areas prone to recurrent natural shocks and other risks.
Food Assistance for Assets (FFA) is one of WFP’s flagship initiatives aimed at addressing the most food-insecure people’s immediate food needs with cash, voucher or food transfers while also helping improve their long-term food security and resilience.
• In May 2018, the prices of wheat and wheat flour decreased by 3.8% and 3.4%, respectively, over April 2018; the price of rice Irri-6 increased by 1.5%, while the price of rice Basmati increased by 0.01% in May 2018 when compared to the previous month;
• Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased in May 2018 by 0.51% over April 2018 and increased by 4.18% over May 2017;
• In April 2018, the prices of wheat and wheat flour decreased by 2.4% each over March 2018; the price of rice Irri-6 increased by 2%, while the price of rice Basmati increased by 0.1% in April 2018 when compared to the previous month;
• Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased in April 2018 by 1.82% over March 2018 and increased by 3.68% over April 2017;
FORMULATION AND VALIDATION OF THE 2018, REGIONAL CASH WORKING GROUP – WORKPLAN
The IFRC-WFP-National Society capacity strengthening initiative was launched in 2017 and is being piloted in Burundi, Dominican Republic, Pakistan and Sudan. Additional pilots are under preparation in the Pacific and Zimbabwe. The objective of the initiative is to demonstrate how WFP and IFRC can work together to strengthen National Societies as robust and sustainable institutions, capable of delivering on their mandate and contributing to enhanced, local food security capacity.
FEWS Security Outlook
Below average precipitation and above average temperatures since October 2017 have resulted in significant reductions in (1) snow depths, (2) river flows, (3) dam levels, (4) water tables, and (5) soil moistures. These conditions have already negatively and irreversibly impacted the winter 2017 – 2018 agricultural season and are expected to also negatively impact the spring and summer 2018 agricultural season.
54,063 people displaced by conflict since 1 January 2018
5,500mt of food assistance and US$119,000 cash based transfers distributed
US$20.9 m six months (Apr-Sept 2018) net funding requirements, representing 34% of total
The Government of Pakistan has permitted over 2.3 million Afghan nationals residing in Pakistan to stay there until 30 June, further delaying an increase in returns and postponing the pressure of the humanitarian system in Afghanistan.
Islamabad, 23 April 2018 - A ground-breaking collaboration between the United Nations, the Government of the People’s Republic of China and the Government of Pakistan has helped the people affected by natural disasters and displacement in Balochistan and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA).
In March 2018, the prices of wheat and wheat flour both decreased by 0.2% and 0.6%, respectively, over February 2018; the price of rice Irri-6 remained unchanged, while the price of rice Basmati increased by 0.4% in March 2018 when compared to the previous month;
Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased in March 2018 by 0.31% over February 2018 and increased by 3.25% over March 2017;
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.
Acute food insecurity global estimates in 2017
• Around 124 million people in 51 countries face Crisis food insecurity or worse (equivalent of IPC/CH Phase 3 or above). They require urgent humanitarian action to save lives, protect livelihoods, and reduce hunger and malnutrition.
WFP is planning contingencies in case a combination of three threats to food security materialise. These threats are a prolonged dry spell, increased numbers of returnees, and increased internal displacement.
WFP’s mobile Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (mVAM) team assessed the vulnerability of populations in Faryab Province using mobile phone surveys.
The Andkhoy-Maymana highway in the northern region is once again accessible to the humanitarian community following negotiations with armed groups.
In January 2018, the average retail price of wheat increased by 0.3% while price of wheat flour decreased by 0.1%; the price of rice Irri-6 and rice Basmati increased by 0.6% and 3.4%, respectively, from the previous month (December 2017);
Headline inflation based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) has negligibly increased by 0.03% from December 2017, whereas it slightly increased by 4.42% from the same month last year (January 2017);
1. Summary of needs from the HNO to be addressed by the cluster:
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan’s leading emergency logistics experts gathered in Islamabad 15-20 January for the nation’s first National Logistics Response Team (LRT) Training, jointly organized by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the Global Logistics Cluster.
In a mix of group learning exercises and emergency simulation, 21 participants from 12 groups including the Government, UN and non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) took part.
• WFP will continue to meet the needs of returnees and internally displaced persons previously served under its emergency operation (which finished on 31 December) under the PRRO.
• WFP, UNOPS and UNHCR made significant progress towards establishing an interagency call centre.
• Security remains the greatest impediment to food security in the country; traders report challenges getting food to markets in the eastern district of Khogiany due to the presence of anti-government elements.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) Afghanistan says NO to Gender Based Violence.
- Afghanistan 2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) and Humanitarian Response Plan, published this month, identify 3.3 million people in need of humanitarian assistance. The Food Security and Agriculture Cluster, which WFP co-chairs, requires USD 91 million in 2018 to reach 1.9 million people.
- Afghanistan launched its Zero Hunger Strategic Review, a consultative document that makes specific recommendations to help Afghanistan achieve zero hunger.