- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Pakistan - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #1, Fiscal Year (FY) 2018
- Afghan refugees likely to get sixth extension in their stay
- UAE provided 43 million Pakistani children with polio vaccine by end of 2017
- Active USG Programs for the Pakistan Response (Last Updated 01/10/18)
- Landmark Contribution From China Enables WFP To Assist 158,000 People In Pakistan
Landmines continue to kill or maim more than 4,000 people yearly
United Nations appeals for $498 million to address the challenge in 29 countries
GENEVA - Mine action initiatives in 29 countries, territories or peacekeeping missions will cost $498 million in 2011, according to the 14th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects, released today by the United Nations in Geneva.
The portfolio is an annual snapshot of the impact of landmines and explosive remnants of war in countries or territories with mine action programmes.
Since the Anti-Personnel Mine-Ban Treaty was adopted in September 1997, mine action has helped an ever-increasing number of civilians reclaim their lives and restore their livelihoods. The treaty has helped mobilize the international community's response to landmines and their impact on people.