- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Government of Pakistan launches US$37 million UNDP-supported project to protect some 30 million people from dangerous glacial lake outburst floods and other climate change impacts
- Aga Khan Agency for Habitat and World Food Programme work to build capacity in disaster preparedness and response
- Pakistan - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #3, Fiscal Year (FY) 2018
- Security Council Press Statement on Terrorist Attack in Mastung, Pakistan, 14 July 2018
- Swiss Embassy, ADB Sign Agreement to Support National Disaster Risk Management Fund
Total (observed) arrivals – June: 1,995
Total (observed) arrivals - May: 818
Total (observed) arrivals of unaccompanied/separated children - June: 96
Total (observed) arrivals of unaccompanied/separated children - May: 90
Total occupancy of government centres – end June: 2,700
Total occupancy of government centres - end May: 2,600
Total presence of refugees/migrants/asylum-seekers – end June: 3,000
Total presence of refugees/migrants/asylum-seekers – end May: 3,000
During last week (15 July – 21 July 2018), 515 Afghan refugees returned to Afghanistan (450 from Pakistan and 65 from Iran)
9,799 Afghan refugees returned to Afghanistan in 2018, out of which 8,954 from Pakistan, 743 from Iran and 102 from other countries (as of 21 July 2018)
This is 75% less compared to the same period in 2017, when 39,681 Afghan refugees returned to Afghanistan
Rivers Flow Situation Reported by Flood Forecasting Division. River Kabul at Nowshera is in Low Flood level. All the other major Rivers are in the state of their normal flows. Flows in the River Chenab along with Nullahs of Rivers Ravi & Chenab are likely to increase from 23 July 2018. Details at Annex A.
Rivers Flow Situation Reported by Flood Forecasting Division. River Kabul at Nowshera is in Low Flood level. All the other major Rivers are in the state of their normal flows. Flows in the Nullahs of Rivers Ravi & Chenab are likely to increase from 23 July 2018. Details at Annex A.
From the editors
New UK aid package will help governments in developing countries stamp out corruption and improve accountability.
A new UK aid package will help governments in developing countries stamp out corruption and improve accountability, Minister of State for International Development Harriett Baldwin announced yesterday (Thursday 19 July).
It is estimated that up to £2 trillion is lost globally to corruption every year, which reduces the amount that governments can invest in vital services such as healthcare and education.
By Quratulain Fatima
Flight Lieutenant Quratulain Fatima is a policy practitioner working extensively in rural and conflict-ridden areas of Pakistan with a focus on gender inclusive development and conflict prevention. She is a 2018 Aspen New Voices Fellow
48,300 in Q1+Q2 2018
102,800 in Q1+Q2 2017
178,500 in 2017
362,300 in 2016
Dead and Missing
1,288 in Q1+Q2 2018
2,301 in Q1+Q2 2017
3,139 in 2017
5,096 in 2016
In 1926, when Lady Reading started collecting funds to establish a hospital in Peshawar, no one could have anticipated that the facility would one day provide medical care to 28 million people. The hospital meets the health-care needs of people from across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and the former Federally Administered Tribal Areas. Today, this 1,600-bedded tertiary care hospital is one of the main referral hospitals for 26 districts of KP.
By Jamil Nagri
GILGIT: With large swathes of cultivated and other land coming under water, floodwaters and landslides blocking several vital roads and thousands of people getting marooned, flooding caused by rapid melting of glaciers has wreaked havoc across Gilgit-Baltistan.
Two people were killed when a family was hit by floodwaters, sources said on Thursday.
Depriving someone of their freedom is a terrible violation. Modern slavery is a destructive, personal crime and an abuse of human rights. It is a widespread and profitable criminal industry but despite this it is largely invisible, in part because it disproportionately affects the most marginalised. This is why measuring this problem is so crucial in exposing and ultimately resolving it. The information contained within the Global Slavery Index is critical in these efforts.
Rivers Flow Situation Reported by Flood Forecasting Division. River Kabul at Nowshera is in Low Flood level. All the other major Rivers are in the state of their normal flows.
Details at Annex A.
Torrential rains trigger flooding in Nigeria
Africa Weather Hazards
- During mid-July, torrential rains in Nigeria triggered floods, damages to infrastructure and fatalities in the Ogun and Katsina states. Heavy rainfall is forecast to continue over northern Nigeria during the next seven days.
Heavy rainfall continues over the Sahel region
The Minister of Health of Papua New Guinea officially launched the outbreak response campaign on 16 July in Morobe, Madang and Eastern Highlands provinces.
Summary of new viruses this week: advance notification of one wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case in Afghanistan in Kunar province. In Nigeria, one new case of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) as well as three confirmed and two advanced notice cVDPV2 positive environmental samples. See country sections below for more details.