- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Sep 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Heavy Snowfalls - Jan 2017
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Jun 2016
- Pakistan: Floods and Landslides - Mar 2016
- Afghanistan/Pakistan: Earthquake - Oct 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Apr 2015
- Pakistan: Floods - Sep 2014
- Pakistan: Drought - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Polio Outbreak - 2014-2017
- Pakistan: Dengue Outbreak - Oct 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Government of Pakistan launches US$37 million UNDP-supported project to protect some 30 million people from dangerous glacial lake outburst floods and other climate change impacts
- Aga Khan Agency for Habitat and World Food Programme work to build capacity in disaster preparedness and response
- Pakistan - Complex Emergency Fact Sheet #3, Fiscal Year (FY) 2018
- Security Council Press Statement on Terrorist Attack in Mastung, Pakistan, 14 July 2018
- Swiss Embassy, ADB Sign Agreement to Support National Disaster Risk Management Fund
This report was written by Márta Pardavi, Gruša Matevžič, Júlia Iván and Anikó Bakonyi of the Hungarian Helsinki Committee (HHC), the first three updates were written by Gruša Matevžič, the fourth update was written by Gruša Matevžič, Júlia Iván, Anikó Bakonyi and Gábor Gyulai, and the 2016 and 2017 updates were written by András Alföldi, Gruša Matevžič, Zita Barcza-Szabó and Zsolt Szekeres. The report was edited by ECRE.
Asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection in V4 countries
On Monday, the National Police Headquarter informed Hungarian news agency MTI that between Friday and Sunday 350 people crossing the border illegally were apprehended in Hungary. According to the statistics published on the Police’s website, on Friday 140, on Saturday 103 and on Sunday 107 were apprehended.
György Bakondi, Chief Security Advisor to the Prime Minister, has told public television channel M1 that on Monday migrants began a protest at the Closed Asylum Reception Centre in Kiskunhalas. He said that some one hundred migrants – most of them from Pakistan – took part in a march within the camp demanding to be let out and to be placed in open camps. They were still protesting in the evening, Mr. Bakondi added.
Police arrived at the reception centre in appropriate numbers, but they did not need to take action until the evening.
Press Releases, 8 September 2015
We have met the authorities here in Budapest and have offered UNHCR's assistance to deal with the increasing number of refugees and migrants arriving in Hungary.
We have repeated our call for simplifying and streamlining registration, reception at the collection points, registration centres and reception centres and care for those who come to seek international protection.
GENEVA, Aug 28 (UNHCR) – The UN refugee agency said it was "deeply shocked and saddened" at the grim discovery yesterday of the bodies of 71 people inside a truck abandoned near the Austrian border with Hungary.
"This tragedy underscores the ruthlessness of people smugglers who have expanded their business from the Mediterranean sea to the highways of Europe. It shows they have no regard for human life and are only after profit," UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Fleming told a press briefing in Geneva.
19 June 2015 – Two United Nations agencies today expressed strong concerns over Hungary’s plans to build a four-metre high fence along its border with Serbia, with the UN refugee agency saying the wall will “be a further obstacle for people who have fled from war zones like Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq and who desperately need safety and protection.”